Told not to bother to apply to Oxford (Law)

Watch
hollyshortis
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi,
So the tutor in charge of my progression to University has basically told me not to apply to Oxford, but I really want to anyway. Is there any point me applying to Oxford for Law with my grades?

GCSEs (Hopefully will be contextualised because I was one of the only ones to get As in my high school):
English Language: A*
Religious Studies: A*
Design Technology: A*
English Literature: A
Maths: A
Numeracy: A
Chemistry: A
Biology: A
Physics: A
Spanish: A
History: A

I've just got my AS results and they were:
Religious Studies: A
Law: A
Politics: B
History: C (But I'm dropping history)

My predicted grades should be A*AA

Is there any point in applying?
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If the GCSEs are viewed contextually that may be feasibly if you do very well in the LNAT. However if those are achieved AS grades that you need to declare on UCAS (as opposed to mock exam grades) that might, along with the GCSEs, work against you.

Ultimately it's only one of your options, and provided you choose an appropriate range of courses for the other four you should hopefully get an offer from somewhere. I think Oxford is, however, probably unlikely. If you achieve A*AA or above and can do well in the LNAT then it may be a possibility for a gap year application, although I think again it hinges somewhat on how they assess your GCSES.

I'd suggest you check the POLAR/ACORN ratings for your region, and also look to see how far above/below the national average your school performs in GCSEs etc, as well as what proportion of students are eligible for free school meals etc. These are the data Oxford look at in assessing whether your application would be considered "contextual".
BrasenoseAdm
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by hollyshortis)
Hi,
So the tutor in charge of my progression to University has basically told me not to apply to Oxford, but I really want to anyway. Is there any point me applying to Oxford for Law with my grades?

GCSEs (Hopefully will be contextualised because I was one of the only ones to get As in my high school):

Hola Hollyshortis,

We can think of a few candidates here whose progression officers or equivalent were off-putting. Last year, UK 38 applicants with 3 or fewer A*/8/9 grades at GCSE were interviewed who had yet to take A-levels. The majority of these were widening participation candidates whose GCSE contextualised result was likely to have been strongly positive. We can't comment on your personal prospects since we do not have details of your UCAS application. If as you say, though, your results are strong for your school we would not view GCSEs as an impediment and would advise concentrating on the LNAT and if you feel confident that the course is right for you, the ultimate decision about applying is yours and yours alone.

Brasenose Admissions
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
As above - if you want to give Oxbridge a shot and you have the predictions, go for it. Yes, it'll be a tough one and you may not be accepted, but if you dont apply you'll always wonder what might have happened if only you had. Don't let teachers put you off!
Martins1
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi,

If you really want to apply for the right reasons, I definitely would. Your predicted grades are high enough &, your GCSE grades are very strong. Your AS levels are reasonably weak (politics since you're taking it, and history because it's a low grade), but as long as the rest of your application is strong, you should apply (i.e. LNAT, interview, Personal Statement, reference). I know lots of people at Oxford at my college whose teachers at school told them not to bother - the teachers were wrong. Many of those people are excelling at uni, even if some of their grades weren't perfect. Many of my friends got into Ox with a B or C at AS.

If there are any mitigating circumstances for your grades, make sure they are made note of in your tutor's reference. Oxford takes into account schools and places of education which perform worse.

Tldr; yes, definitely. Especially if you really want to apply (for the right reasons)
Kyloias
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi,

Depending on your LNAT score yes. I don't know when you get your results (I'm a medic) but from past experience I'd say to apply where you want! Different Oxford colleges have different requirements but it takes a lot of research to find out which ones are better to apply for.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (31)
29.25%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (10)
9.43%
No I am happy with my choice (59)
55.66%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (6)
5.66%

Watched Threads