The Student Room Group

Steps to Becoming a Clinical Psychologist

So I am currently taking my A-Levels. I am planning to further my study in the UK after my A-Levels. I will be applying for a bachelor’s degree in psychology. However, my concern is which path should I take, should I continue to go for a master's degree and PhD or should I go for doctorate's degree? Is there any difference? Can someone enlighten me about it, thanks!
1) masters isn't too relevant (unless you have a low undergrad degree)
2) PhD is for research, you'd need to do the DClinPsych to become a clinical psych
3) after a good undergrad degree the main thing you need is relevant experience
Reply 2
Original post by Noodlzzz
1) masters isn't too relevant (unless you have a low undergrad degree)
2) PhD is for research, you'd need to do the DClinPsych to become a clinical psych
3) after a good undergrad degree the main thing you need is relevant experience

So if I wanted to become a clinical psych, instead of going for master after my bachelor, I should do the DClinPsych?
Original post by mocha520
So if I wanted to become a clinical psych, instead of going for master after my bachelor, I should do the DClinPsych?

Yes.

People attach a great deal of importance to the bachelor's and master's which uni it was and whether it had this placement or that placement. People don't focus enough on the work/voluntary experience and application process for the DClinPsy.
Reply 4
Original post by marinade
Yes.

People attach a great deal of importance to the bachelor's and master's which uni it was and whether it had this placement or that placement. People don't focus enough on the work/voluntary experience and application process for the DClinPsy.

Does this mean after finishing my A-Levels, I will do a 3-year bachelor's degree in a university and after that, I can go for the DClinPsy programme in the university?
Does this mean after finishing my A-Levels, I will do a 3-year bachelor's degree in a university and after that, I can go for the DClinPsy programme in the university?

After finishing your A-levels you will do a 3 year Bachelor's degree and some indeterminate amount of time but let's call it 2-5 years for arguments sake, you will have gained enough experience to apply for the doctorate in clinical psychology (otherwise known as various postnominals such as DClinPsy, DClinPsych ClinPsyD etc.).
Reply 6
After finishing your A-levels you will do a 3 year Bachelor's degree and some indeterminate amount of time but let's call it 2-5 years for arguments sake, you will have gained enough experience to apply for the doctorate in clinical psychology (otherwise known as various postnominals such as DClinPsy, DClinPsych ClinPsyD etc.).

So during the 2-5 years, I will be looking for work experience in a clinical mental health setting and then I can apply for the DClinPsy. What if I go for master after my bachelor's degree, will it increase my chance to get into the doctorate programme?
Reply 7
Does working experience during placement year while I am doing my degree counted as the relevant clinical experience of 12 months in a clinical setting which is required to apply for DClinPsy?
So during the 2-5 years, I will be looking for work experience in a clinical mental health setting and then I can apply for the DClinPsy. What if I go for master after my bachelor's degree, will it increase my chance to get into the doctorate programme?

In my opinion I don't think masters' degrees make that much difference. Psychology MScs in 2019 are incredibly common. 1 in 4 of your classmates will go on to do a master's.

Relatively recently I've had conversations with two people that think doing a masters will increase their chances, but the focus of the conversation was very much on relatively beefy placements attached to the courses or being able to leverage being a master's student to gain better/more experience.

By the time you get to the end of undergrad circa 4-5 years, the situation will have changed and who is to say what things will be like then.

As an A-level student I don't think you should be worrying about the postgraduate path right now. Curious.
Does working experience during placement year while I am doing my degree counted as the relevant clinical experience of 12 months in a clinical setting which is required to apply for DClinPsy?

It counts as work experience. However if you read say threads on the internet of what age people got on the clinical doctorate it's very unlikely you'd get on the first cycle after graduating.

The experience may stand you in good stead for becoming an AP or PWP very quickly after graduating though.

My opinion is that graduates underestimate how difficult it is to get on the DClinPsy, but they overestimate (in some cases by quite a bit) how difficult it is to get other stuff.
Reply 10
In my opinion I don't think masters' degrees make that much difference. Psychology MScs in 2019 are incredibly common. 1 in 4 of your classmates will go on to do a master's.

Relatively recently I've had conversations with two people that think doing a masters will increase their chances, but the focus of the conversation was very much on relatively beefy placements attached to the courses or being able to leverage being a master's student to gain better/more experience.

By the time you get to the end of undergrad circa 4-5 years, the situation will have changed and who is to say what things will be like then.

As an A-level student I don't think you should be worrying about the postgraduate path right now. Curious.

alright, thanks for the detailed information, I really appreciate it!
alright, thanks for the detailed information, I really appreciate it!

No problem.

I would focus on the A-levels. Last year of A-levels and first year or uni focus on gaining jobs/work experience to get your better/more work experience. If none of that makes sense posts back in months/year.

Keep having all of the conversations with coursemates, uni lecturers and especially people outside of uni. Perhaps not take stuff coursemates say too seriously either way - it can be a bit of a bubble. If you want any more detailed info then PM at some point.
Reply 12
So I am currently taking my A-Levels. I am planning to further my study in the UK after my A-Levels. I will be applying for a bachelor’s degree in psychology. However, my concern is which path should I take, should I continue to go for a master's degree and PhD or should I go for doctorate's degree? Is there any difference? Can someone enlighten me about it, thanks!

Hi!

In theory, you don't need an MSc to gain a place on a ClinPsyD program. However, the doctorate program is extremely competitive and only about 15% of applicants are offered a place. You will need a LOT of relevant experience. You could start by gaining a job as a mental health support worker, for example. Most universities will look for experience after you gain your BSc as well as anything you do during.

I am also going down the ClinPsyD route and have decided to do an MSc part-time alongside my full-time role as a support worker on a psychiatric intensive care unit. I didn't feel I had enough research experience to go straight for the doctorate, plus I have more time to build on my work experience.

Try and get work in a relevant field as soon as possible. Get the best degree you can. Work hard. Focus on developing skills and knowledge in the field of clinical psychology.

Alternatively, if you are more interested in research or academia, a PhD would be the way to go. These are, again, very competitive, but nowhere near as much as the clinical psychology doctorate. There are also other options you might want to look into: counselling psychology, health psychology, training as a psychological wellbeing practitioner or psychotherapist etc. The clinical psychology doctorate is so competitive because, at the moment, you get a salary from day one and the course is funded by the NHS.

Quick Reply

Latest