what super and extra curricular activities to do for medicine?

Watch this thread
keeno25
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am currently in Yr12 and i was wondering what i should start doing to make sure i have a good personal statement in july next year.
MedicA2020
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by keeno25)
I am currently in Yr12 and i was wondering what i should start doing to make sure i have a good personal statement in july next year.
- Find a volunteering placement in care home or hospital and start doing couple of hours a week (for more than a year is recommended)
- Attend medicine career days in local hospitals (apply in advance)
- Try to find availability of medicine summer schools and see if you can find a place
- Apply for work experience in hospitals & GP even if it is difficult (don't need to be shadowing, any work experience is useful)
- If you still have time, any customer service work experience paid or unpaid is also helpful
- Attend NCS if you have not done yet
- Involve in School / Local community (volunteering, organising sports activities, prefect roles etc.).
- Attend master classes / open days / medicine / life science related taster courses in any universities if you manage to find.
- Read medical related books, BMJ, health news and find more about NHS
- Carry out independent research and develop research as well as presentation/leadership skills (don't need to be part of an EPQ)
Besides your academic achievements, reflecting what you learnt & experienced from from the above will help to decide whether medicine is a good career path for you & to write your personal statement effectively.
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
All the above ( which is excellent advice)

Plus Cambridge medical essay competitions

But most of all St. John ambulance. Teaches you first aid, medical scenarios, cpr etc. You can go to events and administer first aid . Go on peer educator course then you can give medical talks to younger cadets. Uea called this ucas gold!

My son partly credit his epq, part St. John ambulance for getting into Oxford for medicine

Good luck
keeno25
Rep:
(Original post by Oxford Mum)
All the above ( which is excellent advice)

Plus Cambridge medical essay competitions

But most of all St. John ambulance. Teaches you first aid, medical scenarios, cpr etc. You can go to events and administer first aid . Go on peer educator course then you can give medical talks to younger cadets. Uea called this ucas gold!

My son partly credit his epq, part St. John ambulance for getting into Oxford for medicine

Good luck
some of the stuff that i do now:
Part of Medical Society in school
LAMDA bronze and gold course
Chemistry mentor
Biology mentor
Will start volunteering at a care home for the next 6 months
keeno25
Rep:
(Original post by The_Great_Mind)
- Find a volunteering placement in care home or hospital and start doing couple of hours a week (for more than a year is recommended)
- Attend medicine career days in local hospitals (apply in advance)
- Try to find availability of medicine summer schools and see if you can find a place
- Apply for work experience in hospitals & GP even if it is difficult (don't need to be shadowing, any work experience is useful)
- If you still have time, any customer service work experience paid or unpaid is also helpful
- Attend NCS if you have not done yet
- Involve in School / Local community (volunteering, organising sports activities, prefect roles etc.).
- Attend master classes / open days / medicine / life science related taster courses in any universities if you manage to find.
- Read medical related books, BMJ, health news and find more about NHS
- Carry out independent research and develop research as well as presentation/leadership skills (don't need to be part of an EPQ)
Besides your academic achievements, reflecting what you learnt & experienced from from the above will help to decide whether medicine is a good career path for you & to write your personal statement effectively.
I have done 1 week shadowing at a hospital. Should i just do volunteering now or more work experience?
MedicA2020
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by keeno25)
I have done 1 week shadowing at a hospital. Should i just do volunteering now or more work experience?
I would suggest more volunteering over long term to demonstrate your commitment.
However, any work experience is also good. Shadowing experience of more than a week do not add any value.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (70)
19.23%
The paper was reasonable (134)
36.81%
Not feeling great about that exam... (108)
29.67%
It was TERRIBLE (52)
14.29%

Watched Threads