Am I qualified to have free dentist checkup after 18 years old (still a student) Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Am I qualified to have free dentist checkup after 18 years old (still a student)? Do people still have dental checkup after 18 years old even if their teeth are fine?
originalbiscotti
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-que...nt-in-england/

personally, i only have one check up a year now because i have to pay for it, but most people will just wait until there is something wrong, eg toothache before they go, its personal preference really
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by sophielouiseok)
https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-que...nt-in-england/

personally, i only have one check up a year now because i have to pay for it, but most people will just wait until there is something wrong, eg toothache before they go, its personal preference really
Thanks.
Kindred
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Am I qualified to have free dentist checkup after 18 years old (still a student)? Do people still have dental checkup after 18 years old even if their teeth are fine?
Under 19 and full time education is free. So it sounds like you might still have a little time left with it.

Past that point you should ideally still get regular checks. They will cost about £20 (band one). A lot of people do tend to skimp on check ups and only really go when they notice something. That payment will then cover anything else from that band that's in that set of treatment. So if your check up shows you need a filling both the check and the filling will be covered by the same payment.

My advice would be that nomatter how infrequent it is you do go regularly. I think official advice is about every 6 months(?), but going once a year, every two years or whatever is still better than only going when there is an issue. Getting a check up means your dentist can spot potential problems before they happen and help prevent them.
If you set yourself a regular time to go see the dentist it will be easier to stick to it and not end up forgetting for 6 years until you end up needing 3 fillings.

And absolutely go see a dentist whenever you have ANY concerns. Don't wait until some sensitivity turns into agonising pain or until a little bit of blood turns into your teeth falling out.

Sounds obvious, but dentist seems to be one of the easiest things to procrastinate with or forget about.

You can also look into getting a dental plan with a private practice. I don't know how the cost compares to paying as you go with the NHS, but it is one of the options out there.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (102)
24%
No (323)
76%

Watched Threads