Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I am starting at a uni 3.5 hours away from me soon and I’m doing medicine so will be there for 5 years. I am really worried about it. The train is so expensive. In medicine you don’t tend to get large amounts of time off in later years so it will almost be pointless to go home and see family. My parents are elderly and So it makes it worse. The train is also so expensive. Can he £80 for a return
cheesecakelove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I am starting at a uni 3.5 hours away from me soon and I’m doing medicine so will be there for 5 years. I am really worried about it. The train is so expensive. In medicine you don’t tend to get large amounts of time off in later years so it will almost be pointless to go home and see family. My parents are elderly and So it makes it worse. The train is also so expensive. Can he £80 for a return
Sometimes there will be things you have to compromise on if you want something in life. If the university you chose is the one you have your heart set on, to help you pursue a career in medicine, then you will have to find a way to work around the distance. You will still have holiday times which will give you opportunities to save up money and visit home for a little while. You can also keep in contact with your family by email, phone call or video chat (if your parents aren't very computer literate, they may find a smartphone or tablet easy to use which you could set up for them before your leave).

In terms of the cost travelling home, you could consider advance fares, split ticketing or using a railcard. You could also look at alternative ways to travel home, e.g. coach, which may be cheaper. I am sure your parents are very proud of you so try not to worry, concentrate on this new opportunity and working hard at university.
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Elderly parents are difficult to leave, but they will want you to build your own life. Are they still able to travel?

If you could post the towns, someone may be able to find cheaper alternatives. For example, coaches, whilst generally slower, can be fairly cheap. If you're lucky with the locations, budget flights (booked a long time in advance) might be another option. Do you have a rail card? There may be ways of car pooling too, although that's less flexible.
Phoenixfeather99
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Did you check the price of train tickets for a date close to today? If so you will find they will be expensive. If you look at train tickets for like 6weeks in advance you may get them a lot cheaper. Also, if your under 24 you could buy. rail card which will give you discounted fairs.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (107)
66.46%
No I haven't decided yet (33)
20.5%
Yes but I might change my mind (21)
13.04%

Watched Threads