Goldbanphrionsa
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So I’m doing a similar direct salaried route with an agency and I’ve waned to do drama and English but this is now not possible because it’s dual so the secondary PGCE with QTS will just be English but I want to teach Drama or Drama and English so will this Inhibit me for teaching those in secondary. I’ve been told the PGCE itself will just say Secondary but I’m unsure. I have a degree in Drama which I am 2.1 qualified.

The school I’m working in can offer me only English to study but said that can give me opportunities in drama. I’m worried that once I’m looking for active work as a qualified teacher they will want someone with a specific PGCE in Drama or drama and English. I have to let the agency know in a week If I’m staying on this course but I need to make sure I’m 100% doing the right thing first,
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Goldbanphrionsa)
So I’m doing a similar direct salaried route with an agency and I’ve waned to do drama and English but this is now not possible because it’s dual so the secondary PGCE with QTS will just be English but I want to teach Drama or Drama and English so will this Inhibit me for teaching those in secondary. I’ve been told the PGCE itself will just say Secondary but I’m unsure. I have a degree in Drama which I am 2.1 qualified.

The school I’m working in can offer me only English to study but said that can give me opportunities in drama. I’m worried that once I’m looking for active work as a qualified teacher they will want someone with a specific PGCE in Drama or drama and English. I have to let the agency know in a week If I’m staying on this course but I need to make sure I’m 100% doing the right thing first,
Hey

Once you are qualified, you can in theory teach anything. For example, I qualified in biology, but now also teach some psychology.

I do think that if you have no or very limited drama experience, it might be tricky to get a pure drama role straight away after qualifying, but you could definitely apply to English and drama jobs.

English jobs will also come up a lot more than drama jobs, but you can talk to schools about gaining experience with the drama department, or doing drama extracurricular stuff once you are in!

Do you otherwise like the school and the set up you have? If so, it might be a good idea to stick it out. If you have other doubts, then I would have a look at your options for doing drama next year.
Goldbanphrionsa
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
Hey

Once you are qualified, you can in theory teach anything. For example, I qualified in biology, but now also teach some psychology.

I do think that if you have no or very limited drama experience, it might be tricky to get a pure drama role straight away after qualifying, but you could definitely apply to English and drama jobs.

English jobs will also come up a lot more than drama jobs, but you can talk to schools about gaining experience with the drama department, or doing drama extracurricular stuff once you are in!

Do you otherwise like the school and the set up you have? If so, it might be a good idea to stick it out. If you have other doubts, then I would have a look at your options for doing drama next year.
Hey, thanks for replying first of all!

I am happy with the school and they have said that they can try to get me involved in the drama department but I am skeptical about this because the PGCE will be English. I feel somewhat uncomfortable having English being core subject or what employees will look at me as. It’s either drama or drama/English. I don’t think I would ever teach just English because it’s not my prime passion I would say. I have done drama since school, with a college BTEC and then a BA HONS degree too but I’m just worried how this PGCE will affect my future prospects of wanting drama and English posts or just drama posts.

I’ve also been told that PGCE’s in secondary are generic. Meaning that there all the same modules and learning etc but it’s just the teaching hours (your subject) will be different as you need to do 30 a week I believe. I’ve also been told that the PGCE will only say “PGCE in Secondary Education”
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Goldbanphrionsa)
Hey, thanks for replying first of all!

I am happy with the school and they have said that they can try to get me involved in the drama department but I am skeptical about this because the PGCE will be English. I feel somewhat uncomfortable having English being core subject or what employees will look at me as. It’s either drama or drama/English. I don’t think I would ever teach just English because it’s not my prime passion I would say. I have done drama since school, with a college BTEC and then a BA HONS degree too but I’m just worried how this PGCE will affect my future prospects of wanting drama and English posts or just drama posts.

I’ve also been told that PGCE’s in secondary are generic. Meaning that there all the same modules and learning etc but it’s just the teaching hours (your subject) will be different as you need to do 30 a week I believe. I’ve also been told that the PGCE will only say “PGCE in Secondary Education”
I do think it could impact your chances of getting a solely drama post straight after training. It might also impact on your ability to teach drama well- as it's a very different subject to English.

However, schools direct salaried places are hard to get, and you'd now probably have to reapply for 2020 entry- would you be prepared to lose a year over this?

I don't think PGCEs in secondary are 100% generic. During mine, although all subjects did the same modules, we spent a lot of time in subject groups and talked about things in a subject specific way. My certificate is generic, but my registration with the general teaching council does specify a subject and you need to list subjects on application forms AFIAK.

I'm honestly not sure what I'd do in your situation, but I hope this helps you make an informed decision.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (48)
32.21%
No - I have already returned home (19)
12.75%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (30)
20.13%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (14)
9.4%
No - I live at home during term anyway (38)
25.5%

Watched Threads