The Student Room Group

Maths Discriminant Hard Question

Hi guys, I’m having trouble with this question. Can someone help me :smile: thank you so much if you do !!
Original post by lhh2003
Hi guys, I’m having trouble with this question. Can someone help me :smile: thank you so much if you do !!

What condition needs to be satisfied to have real roots?
Original post by lhh2003
BFAA2770-A45A-41A8-82FB-FFA5F7F986DC.jpeg

b^2-4ac
Substitute the values and you get K^2+16.
B)square root of K^2+16 = k+4
And since we are told in question that k is a real number the discriminant is positive and if the discriminant is greater than 0, then there are 2 different real roots, thus answering the question.
Reply 4
Original post by RogerOxon
What condition needs to be satisfied to have real roots?

The discriminant must be equal to or greater than 0 ?
Reply 5
Original post by Luqman Khan
b^2-4ac
Substitute the values and you get K^2+16.
B)square root of K^2+16 = k+4
And since we are told in question that k is a real number the discriminant is positive and if the discriminant is greater than 0, then there are 2 different real roots, thus answering the question.

It doesn’t give any values though; it’s a proof question so surely it’d require algebra ?
Original post by lhh2003
It doesn’t give any values though; it’s a proof question so surely it’d require algebra ?

For distinct real roots, we require that b24ac>0b^2 - 4ac > 0 i.e. b2>4acb^2 > 4ac. Since we are given a,ca,c then we know what 4ac4ac is. Do you understand why we can always pick a value of bb so that its square is strictly bigger than 4ac ?
Original post by RDKGames
For distinct real roots, we require that b24ac>0b^2 - 4ac > 0 i.e. b2>4acb^2 > 4ac. Since we are given a,ca,c then we know what 4ac4ac is. Do you understand why we can always pick a value of bb so that its square is strictly bigger than 4ac ?

Would this be enough for full marks in an A level exam?
Original post by ThunderBeard
Would this be enough for full marks in an A level exam?

You can state two inequalities such that our value of b must satisfy one or the other in order for us to have b2>4acb^2 > 4ac, then reason why we can always pick a suitable b, and that would be enough for full marks for this question.

Strictly speaking, you need to state what happens if 4ac<04ac < 0 and then the inequalities for the case 4ac>04ac > 0.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by lhh2003
The discriminant must be equal to or greater than 0 ?

Almost. To get distinct roots (not a repeated one), equality has to be excluded.

Quick Reply

Latest