Are math A-levels the only ones I can self study?

Watch
moomin valley
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I work full time and there is nowhere in the evening I can go to school.

I'm not allowed to do coursework when not part of a registered school, I think I can only sit the exams.

I will finish my further maths books in another 3 months and I think I desperately need to top up my UCAS points with an as level.

So is there any other a level under any board that is exam only, or someone that was somehow able to do coursework even when they're not part of a school officially?

Thank-you all !
TheRealSaifali
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
chemistry, biology, physics, psychology, sociology, languages (i think), english language and literature or religious education these are most possible subjects for learning at home and can sit at an exam centre.
vicvic38
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm pretty sure you can enter any A level as a private candidate so long as the board allows it?

Here is AQA's list. You can enter subjects with NEA (non-exam-assessment) or a practical endorsement. For practical endorsement you must do it at the centre you are entering the exam at. Coursework must be marked by this centre as well, and can incur extra cost.

Look at exam board websites!
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The following have no NEA (and there may be others) :
Accounting, Business Studies, Economics, Law, Maths, Further Maths, any modern language, Politics, Psychology, Sociology, Religious Studies.

Sciences are awkward because of the assessed practicals - not completing the assessed practicals does not affect your overall grade but some university courses require a pass and not doing it requires a little creative accounting on the part of the centre and candidate (If they accept you to take the exams then they are required to give you the chance to do it, but can do so at a price you can't afford so you refuse.)

Art, DT, all sorts of English, Geography, History, Media Studies, Music, Music Technology and PE all have NEA and so are extremely difficult to take as a private candidate.
Last edited by Compost; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (518)
33.7%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (636)
41.38%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (313)
20.36%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (70)
4.55%

Watched Threads