Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
People are trash
sinfonietta
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I think it's less a case of it becoming more prevalent and more to do with people getting caught more easily due to all the digital evidence (eg texting, Facebook, dating apps).
SteveyStack
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
And if it has become more prevalent it’s because of an increase in opportunity as people can literally get with some random person within an hour of seeing them on tinder or in person where as before it was more difficult
yaboy75
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
All this cheating and I can't get laid, funny that.
Ferrograd
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It's to do largely with secularisation if you want a scientific/sociological reason. Previously only the very rich cheated, but the process of social stratification + secularisation of society due to declining role of religion means this is now adopted by the middle and working classes, so society as a whole.
Rock Fan
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I do feel like there's a lack of loyalty more than ever
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Society is tilting towards a 'ME, ME ME' crude culture of instant gratification with little thought or concern for the consequences.
Social media, hookup apps, free dating sites and second life virtual gaming have made it very easy to get in contact with strangers or former sexual partners online.

But there is also seems to be a rush to impose the roles, rules and responsibilities of marriage/civil partnerships upon casual relationships with no formal legal status or general expectation of exclusivity/commitment.
This has resulted in a widespread social attitude that stigmatises unmarried persons not in civil partnerships who divert from the principle of committed monogamous relationship exclusivity to any degree as "cheats" guilty of the social outrage of sexual infidelity.
There does not even need to be sex or any face to face contact.
Liking a strangers social media selfie, replying to a friend's text message or playing a virtual reality game without a gf/bf's clear permission - all of these can lead to angry accusations of "cheating".
IH8Studying
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
rappers casually say it in songs like they’re proud of it
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Ferrograd)
It's to do largely with secularisation if you want a scientific/sociological reason. Previously only the very rich cheated, but the process of social stratification + secularisation of society due to declining role of religion means this is now adopted by the middle and working classes, so society as a whole.
I don't think religion or secularisation plays that much of a role.
The attitude about cheating as sexual infidelity has now been extended far beyond the extra marital affairs prohibited by religions "thou shalt not commit adultery".
Digital activities with no face-to-face contact are now being classified as cheating- following a strangers social media page, liking somebody's selfies or online gaming with a new online acquaintance only known by their username/avatar.
mgi
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Ferrograd)
Only the rich cheated? thus sounds like mythology!
mgi
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
People are trash
Wow! everyone??
Anonymous #3
Report 4 weeks ago
People are trash they do it sometimes an excuse to get out a relationship. They use it to feel a connection with someone else if there boyfriend/ girlfriend can’t provide that anymore. Some do if for the thrill.
mgi
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Op: "People cheating so much" What exactly do you mean by so much? compared to when? the sixties? 1980s ? how do you know?
Anonymous #4
Report 4 weeks ago
I also think we have to take into account how many people happily take back their cheating partners. Yes theres the raw few who will give a second chance and then leave the cheater if they do it again. But the majority just keep forgiving them and taking them back. If someone knows they can worm their way out of it and therefore manage to have their ‘fun’ but still go home to the official partner... what reason do they have to stop?
mgi
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I also think we have to take into account how many people happily take back their cheating partners. Yes theres the raw few who will give a second chance and then leave the cheater if they do it again. But the majority just keep forgiving them and taking them back. If someone knows they can worm their way out of it and therefore manage to have their ‘fun’ but still go home to the official partner... what reason do they have to stop?
But consider this: the person who takes back the cheater is the one with the problem- not the cheater!
mgi
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
People are trash they do it sometimes an excuse to get out a relationship. They use it to feel a connection with someone else if there boyfriend/ girlfriend can’t provide that anymore. Some do if for the thrill.
Your post is rather simplistic though to be honest. People sometimes cheat for complex reasons: loneliness in a relationship. poor sex or no sex, disrespectful partner, drifting and differing views of what each person wants from a relationship , feeling guilty because someone actually loves them, feelings of inadequacy, interference by relatives. I don't believe that people cheat to "get out of a relationship"- cheaters don't often even admit to their partners that they cheated and also some cheaters are very organised and do it undetected for years. If you don't believe me check out Ashley Madison website for example. I am not trying to justify cheating but i would say be careful before you judge; there are always two sides to every story! Also, warch how some people can justify lying, or stealing or catfishing or abusive comments, but are horrified by "cheating" . This is total hypocrisy!
Anonymous #4
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by mgi)
But consider this: the person who takes back the cheater is the one with the problem- not the cheater!
Oh yeah of course the person who is in a committed relationship but chooses to serial cheat doesn’t have the problem! What rubbish. People can be very manipulative, especially if they’re in a relationship whereby the cheating partner has control - also may be a reason the brazenly cheat. I was just saying people taking back cheaters adds to the problem. But you saying the cheater doesn’t have a problem is just foolish. Sounds like something a cheater would say.
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
When did people start cheating so much?
Because society has descended into chaos. People don't care about morality or loyalty or even values. They focus on how to maximise their gratification and don't care about their partners or friends.

It makes no sense to me for a man or woman to cheat on their partner. If they don't like the relationship, they should leave. Why stay in and cheat on your partner? Sad
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
When did people start cheating so much?
When people began existing.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (14)
6.57%
They might tell the bully (22)
10.33%
I don't think they'd understand (36)
16.9%
It might lead to more bullying (74)
34.74%
There's nothing they could do (67)
31.46%

Watched Threads