Student guest
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Soo last year in year 12, I took 4 a levels but closer to the Easter holidays, my head of year and headteacher made me drop a subject since I got an E in my second mocks. I think it’s really unfair as that was the subject I spent most of my time in, they even called my parents in to confirm and I had to sign a letter but on the day of the exam my name was still on there. Is this even legal to do?
LoBehold23
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Did you want to drop it? I don't think they can force you to drop a subject, they can just recommend if the rest of your class are allowed to continue with four. They probably thought they were doing you a favour because you wouldnt waste time and energy trying to bring an E grade up to something like a D or C when your time could have gone towards subjects you'd do better in as most Uni's only want 3 grades. I'm not sure if it's illegal if you signed and technically agreed...it def isnt the end of the world unless you need that subject now for a particular Uni course.

In my sixth form though we started out with 4 subjects is AS and in second year drop one, usually our lowest one but we got to pick (as in, didnt have to drop our lowest one we could drop anyone we wanted).
Student guest
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by LoBehold23)
Did you want to drop it? I don't think they can force you to drop a subject, they can just recommend if the rest of your class are allowed to continue with four. They probably thought they were doing you a favour because you wouldnt waste time and energy trying to bring an E grade up to something like a D or C when your time could have gone towards subjects you'd do better in as most Uni's only want 3 grades. I'm not sure if it's illegal if you signed and technically agreed...it def isnt the end of the world unless you need that subject now for a particular Uni course.

In my sixth form though we started out with 4 subjects is AS and in second year drop one, usually our lowest one but we got to pick (as in, didnt have to drop our lowest one we could drop anyone we wanted).
No I didn’t want to drop it. They forced me and a few others. The problem is I needed that subject and my other three subjects were useless: sociology, Philosophy and french. They literally forced me to sign it aswell though. That’s the same with my sixth form too when going into second year.
LoBehold23
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Student guest)
No I didn’t want to drop it. They forced me and a few others. The problem is I needed that subject and my other three subjects were useless: sociology, Philosophy and french. They literally forced me to sign it aswell though. That’s the same with my sixth form too when going into second year.
Ok, I am not sure about legalities or if it would even be worth it. However, if you speak to a teacher, head of house etc someone in charge of Alevels/sixthform in general. Tell them you did not want to drop it and need that subject now for a particular course. Are you able to do the exams this year/in 2020? - is what I would be asking. Can you drop a diff subject and continue with the one you want. Really push it if you want it, if you dont ask you wont get.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (31)
25%
No (93)
75%

Watched Threads