The Student Room Group

4 potentially habitable exoplanets are 12 light years away

[video="youtube;GK6owRTFz0Q"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=GK6owRTFz0Q[/video]

Do you think life might exist in any of these planets?
It'd be pretty unbelievable if there wasn't a lot of life in our galaxy, although perhaps not that close to us
maybe but definately not as advanced as humans. a video from hitler in the 1940s has already reached about 80 light years away so any intelligent life forms within this range woudlve sent a message out by now provided they were intelligent up to 80 years ago.
Original post by Gent2324
maybe but definately not as advanced as humans. a video from hitler in the 1940s has already reached about 80 light years away so any intelligent life forms within this range woudlve sent a message out by now provided they were intelligent up to 80 years ago.

Not necessarily. I'm assuming he sent the video out using radio waves- what if they don't monitor radio waves? Perhaps they're beyond that, or just use something different entirely.

Or even if they do, you can't expect them to be able to decode it since they 100% will not be using the same digital encoding as us.

Hell, perhaps they see using radio waves and just saw some unusual light coming from space.

Regardless it'd be near impossible for them to recognise it as a video, decode it, watch it and decide to send a reply.

And hmm we have discovered many strange signals from space that we can't explain. Perhaps those *are* a reply that we just can't decode.
Who the flip cares
Original post by JJJJJAAAAMES
Who the flip cares

Me
Original post by MagnumKoishi
Me

How are we going to get there if it takes light 12 YEARS to travel the same distance?
Not necessarily. I'm assuming he sent the video out using radio waves- what if they don't monitor radio waves? Perhaps they're beyond that, or just use something different entirely.

Or even if they do, you can't expect them to be able to decode it since they 100% will not be using the same digital encoding as us.

Hell, perhaps they see using radio waves and just saw some unusual light coming from space.

Regardless it'd be near impossible for them to recognise it as a video, decode it, watch it and decide to send a reply.

And hmm we have discovered many strange signals from space that we can't explain. Perhaps those *are* a reply that we just can't decode.

its very unlikely that a civilization as advanced as ours doesnt monitor radio waves but it could be that they havent discovered them yet ofcourse.

the de-coding doesnt really matter, if they recieved an unusual signal they would send something back, which we havent got. apart from maybe the wow signal.

i think that if there was life on other planets its possible that they would evolve almost entirely different to anything on earth, making it possible for life to live on almost any planet provided it has time to evolve. there could be intelligent species that dont even need eyes or ears. but in any case i think its going to be a long long time before we make direct communication with aliens, understanding each other could take centuries.
Me

who is you my n****

Quick Reply

Latest