Annalisa1
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Can 2 full A levels be studied in one year? (Maths, Sociology) by distance learning and by studying pretty much full time?
satsun
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I’m in the same situation, Maths and Politics, but Maths is quite simple to speed through in, just get every topic of the spec, and learn them. The essay ones are the tricky ones.
Annalisa1
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by satsun)
I’m in the same situation, Maths and Politics, but Maths is quite simple to speed through in, just get every topic of the spec, and learn them. The essay ones are the tricky ones.
Are you studying maths through a distance learning online college?
satsun
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Annalisa1)
Are you studying maths through a distance learning online college?
No, I just think for Maths it’s not worth the expense, it’s quite self explanatory, and there’s tons of resources online, like examsolutions have the whole spec. For Politics I am yes.
Duckyyyyyy00
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yes it’s possible. I did 3 A levels (math, recon and further math) and 1 AS (politics) in 1 year because I wanted to save money since my college was a private one which costed more. Now I’m going into my 3rd year in Warwick uni. It’s doable, make use of all the online resources available for maths (ie. exam solutions) and work through all the past papers year by year. Then redo them by difficulty - I think someone actually arranged it in bronze silver gold papers so work them through for the second time in that order to check your understanding and you’re good to go. Can’t help with sociology though, didn’t manage to do well for AS politics.
Last edited by Duckyyyyyy00; 4 weeks ago
Pany5689
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Duckyyyyyy00)
Yes it’s possible. I did 3 A levels (math, recon and further math) and 1 AS (politics) in 1 year because I wanted to save money since my college was a private one which costed more. Now I’m going into my 3rd year in Warwick uni. It’s doable, make use of all the online resources available for maths (ie. exam solutions) and work through all the past papers year by year. Then redo them by difficulty - I think someone actually arranged it in bronze silver gold papers so work them through for the second time in that order to check your understanding and you’re good to go. Can’t help with sociology though, didn’t manage to do well for AS politics.
If you do them as a private candidate do you need to do both as and a level exams or just the a level exams to get into uni?
satsun
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Pany5689)
If you do them as a private candidate do you need to do both as and a level exams or just the a level exams to get into uni?
Just the a level.
Duckyyyyyy00
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It depends on your uni I think, you need to check grade requirements. In that case, I did 3A and 4AS in 1 year. I think for maths you require AS level as well since for A level maths and further maths they count AS marks as part of A level final grade. When I took it, it was a modular system. Not sure it has changed though
Last edited by Duckyyyyyy00; 4 weeks ago
Pany5689
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Just the a level.
are you sure because the person below just said i need to do both?
Pany5689
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Duckyyyyyy00)
It depends on your uni I think, you need to check grade requirements. In that case, I did 3A and 4AS in 1 year.
The person above just said only a levels?
satsun
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
are you sure because the person below just said i need to do both?
In the new system of a-levels, all of the content is covered and assessed in the A2 exams, google it.
Pany5689
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
In the new system of a-levels, all of the content is covered and assessed in the A2 exams, google it.
Thank you, on my ucas what would I do about predicted grade and not being in a college as I would be teaching myself?
satsun
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thank you, on my ucas what would I do about predicted grade and not being in a college as I would be teaching myself?
I think if you don’t have anyone to predict you a grade you can either a) take a gap year, and apply with your actual grades or b) apply through clearing.
Pany5689
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I think if you don’t have anyone to predict you a grade you can either a) take a gap year, and apply with your actual grades or b) apply through clearing.
Oh really so I wouldn’t be able to get into my uni choice next year unless through clearing, what did you do?
satsun
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Oh really so I wouldn’t be able to get into my uni choice next year unless through clearing, what did you do?
I’m with a distance learning provider so will get predicted grades just not for Maths, if I can’t get in I’ll take a gap year
Pany5689
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I’m with a distance learning provider so will get predicted grades just not for Maths, if I can’t get in I’ll take a gap year
How come you can’t get it for maths? How old are you and what so then you can apply with your predicted grades a year after?
satsun
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
How come you can’t get it for maths? How old are you and what so then you can apply with your predicted grades a year after?
I’m not doing maths through a distance learning provider, in the age of Year 13 students, the year after, I will already have all my results.
Pany5689
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I’m not doing maths through a distance learning provider, in the age of Year 13 students, the year after, I will already have all my results.
Are you self teaching and so you will be starting uni in 2021?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (22)
24.72%
No (67)
75.28%

Watched Threads