A level History could someone mark this question please?

Watch
ViktoriyaPetrov
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
ANALYSE THE MAIN FEATURES OF THE WEIMAR CONSTITUTION (10 marks)
The Weimar Constitution was meant to be a democratic and improve the lives of German citizens. In order to do this, there needed to be some key changes to the German Constitution and so the Weimar Constitution was born.
The head of state in Weimar Germany was the President. He was elected every 7 years by the electorate which was made up of all citizens older than 20. He had the power to dissolve the Reichstag and to appoint the Chancellor. He was also the Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces. He also had the power to rule without the Reichstag due to Article 48, the emergency powers act.
The Chancellor was appointed by the President, but he had to have the support of the Reichstag. If he lost the Reichstag’s confidence, he had to resign. The Reichstag was Germany’s main representative assembly and the main law-making body of the parliament. It consisted of deputies elected every 4 years by Proportional Representation.
Germany was divided into 35 equal electoral districts. Parties drew up a list of candidates and voters voted for the party list as a whole. Proportional Representation meant that no party ever had a majority in the Reichstag. This created an unstable government as there were too many political parties and coalition governments which required sophisticated thinking in an unstable society.
The Bill of Rights protected individual rights such as personal liberty, freedom of speech and censorship and religious freedom.
Therefore we can see that the Weimar Constitution was created to create a democratic Germany and succeeded initially as Weimar Germany was one of the most democratic countries at the time.

Thank you so much
BlueHighlighter
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Now I didn't study A-Level History, but did study "Germany in Transition 1919-1947" in high school and to me the question is essentially asking what the strengths and weaknesses of the Weimar Constitution are. There are plenty of resources online for this, but as follows are the most common:

• Article 48 — allowed Hindenburg to take power sometimes when he did not need to; essentially led to the Reichstag Fire Act.
  • Proportional Representation — as you mention, great feature as everyone got a say and could vote. However, nobody could get a majority and this led to coalitions, often parties exchanged things for support.
  • Bill of Rights — great, protected free speech etc.
  • The Reichstag — a true democracy, previously the Kaiser made all of the decisions. Germany welcomed a democracy in which they could choose what went on; this obviously did not last long as by 1933 Hitler was in power.
You have most of that stuff, so I'd say your essay is quite good and would probably get around 6/7 marks — or at least that is what I would give it. Perhaps something like what I've attached would push up those marks into maybe 9/10. Of course, I'm no History expert, but it's what I would've written.
Attached files
ViktoriyaPetrov
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by BlueHighlighter)
Now I didn't study A-Level History, but did study "Germany in Transition 1919-1947" in high school and to me the question is essentially asking what the strengths and weaknesses of the Weimar Constitution are. There are plenty of resources online for this, but as follows are the most common:

• Article 48 — allowed Hindenburg to take power sometimes when he did not need to; essentially led to the Reichstag Fire Act.
  • Proportional Representation — as you mention, great feature as everyone got a say and could vote. However, nobody could get a majority and this led to coalitions, often parties exchanged things for support.
  • Bill of Rights — great, protected free speech etc.
  • The Reichstag — a true democracy, previously the Kaiser made all of the decisions. Germany welcomed a democracy in which they could choose what went on; this obviously did not last long as by 1933 Hitler was in power.
You have most of that stuff, so I'd say your essay is quite good and would probably get around 6/7 marks — or at least that is what I would give it. Perhaps something like what I've attached would push up those marks into maybe 9/10. Of course, I'm no History expert, but it's what I would've written.
thank you so much
this is really helpful
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (74)
22.7%
Excited but a bit nervous (148)
45.4%
Not bothered either way (38)
11.66%
I'm really nervous (66)
20.25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed