Girl being laughed at in economics class Watch

anele1
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi, I am one of two girls in a class of 11 studying economics in year 12. I find that every time I make a contribution to the class some of the boys snigger, laugh and make comments under their breath. Usually, I can't hear what they're saying very well but I can see them looking at me out of the corner of their eyes. I've been in the same school since year 7 so alot of them know my name I but haven't really had many friends and am probably considered an 'outsider' or 'weird' because of this. I also don't have any friends in my class. They don't treat the other girl in the same way so much, probably because she is more popular.

Anyway, just want to know if any other girls (or boys) have experienced this and what they have done to stop it. I want to just snap back at them but I know that this is what they want and they'll just laugh at me more, so it's best not to. It is such a shame because my teachers are great and I really like economics but every lesson makes me feel so low and rubbish.

Thank
Last edited by anele1; 3 weeks ago
filletofish
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
That's really sad and unfortunate however the misery can be mitigated, I believe.

A. Reduce contributory output, if vocalising responses prompts demeaning commentary which upsets you cease making public comments temporarily.

B. Increase alignment with other girl, alliances are forged on a common basis and serve as a union of comfort and confidence in this case you are unified by femininity which could act as a starting point for friendship (even just within the class)

C. Widen social circles - the hardest of the stages - maintain your current friendships and ensure they are bonds of enjoyment and trust which can relax you from the upset of such negative incidents.
RedGiant
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
What are you saying exactly that makes them laugh? Probably just a bunch of jackasses.
anele1
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by RedGiant)
What are you saying exactly that makes them laugh? Probably just a bunch of jackasses.
I'm just answering questions based on what we're studying that the teacher asks.
JStudying
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by anele1)
I'm just answering questions based on what we're studying that the teacher asks.
I suggest either firmly telling them that their being immature and childish or quietly have a conversation with the teacher and briefly explain the issue and suggest to the teacher what you want them to do about it if there is anything specific. Small things like this must get dealt with early.
JStudying
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by filletofish)
That's really sad and unfortunate however the misery can be mitigated, I believe.

A. Reduce contributory output, if vocalising responses prompts demeaning commentary which upsets you cease making public comments temporarily.

B. Increase alignment with other girl, alliances are forged on a common basis and serve as a union of comfort and confidence in this case you are unified by femininity which could act as a starting point for friendship (even just within the class)

C. Widen social circles - the hardest of the stages - maintain your current friendships and ensure they are bonds of enjoyment and trust which can relax you from the upset of such negative incidents.
I say B is the best and easiest to implement.
OR321
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Look them straight in the eyes and tell them to f*ck off. I’m sure your teacher won’t mind because In college they don’t really care about swearing. Give em your all
AlwaysBroke.
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

Yo wtf can you write my personal statement for me or something, who speaks like that from the top of their head?!
Nununu
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

I completely disagree with A)

You dont deal with bullies by backing down.

I would turn to them next time they do it and say something like "what is so funny, exactly?"
RedGiant
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by anele1)
Laugh back at them sarcastically. Or just simply tell the head of sixth or the teacher that it is harming your learning.
filletofish
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Nununu)
I completely disagree with A)

You dont deal with bullies by backing down.

I would turn to them next time they do it and say something like "what is so funny, exactly?"
I stand by phase A of my advisory strategy for the individual if by its implementation the routine bullying is ceased which is probable given the cause of such inexcusable behaviour is equally but unfairly terminated, then the overall achievement of tranquil and harassment-free lessons can render the agenda as a success.
Nununu
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I stand by phase A of my advisory strategy for the individual if by its implementation the routine bullying is ceased which is probable given the cause of such inexcusable behaviour is equally but unfairly terminated, then the overall achievement of tranquil and harassment-free lessons can render the agenda as a success.
They wont stop.

If they are indeed laughing at her, then they will find another way to bully her of she backs down.
GreenCub
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

A is a bad idea. Those people have no right to stop you from making whatever contributions you want.
RazzzBerries
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by GreenCub)
A is a bad idea. Those people have no right to stop you from making whatever contributions you want.
Agreed
The Mogg
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Just want to point out how very weird it is that I myself have just started Economics and have a class of 11 with 2 girls in it. Craaaazy.
Dexter321
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I am sorry to read this. Stick at it would be my advice. Really not convinced with what some others had advised. There is a chance because it's a new class, things will settle down, so personally I'd do nothing differently and try to ignore them. If they don't grow up, or get used to being in a new class, I think the quiet word with the teacher will be the other option. Something along the lines of saying that you're felling more reluctant to contribute in class because of the bullying. The teacher is possibly giving the boys a period of grace but will know of the noise.

Do stick at it though. You won't be the only student experiencing this, even if it is only you in this one class. People have got through it over the years, and I suppose it can be put down to being part of a learning experience. Don't take the bait, get worked up or respond though as it will just add fuel.
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
That's really not good advice - perhaps you think this is acceptable behaviour? These bullies need putting in their place by the teacher who should be intervening.
Nununu
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It could also be in your head. As this has happened to me a couple of times and they have said "we aren't laughing at you".

But it's still rude and so you still need to ask them politely what exactly are they laughing at next time they do it.
Sophhhowa
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I had the same. Only girl in Further maths and some of the boys were horrible. I was new to the school as well and they weren’t used to having a girl who knew her stuff in a class, they were used to being top dogs. At first I felt quite intimidated and it didn’t take long for my teachers to clock what was going on (both male) although their reactions were very different.
Teacher A:
Told me to ‘play stupid’ so I wouldn’t hurt their egos (I didn’t do this, I just continued as normal). This really annoyed me as he kept going on about how they found me intimidating just because I’m a girl??? It honestly wasn’t like I was over the top I was just like anyone else in that class except for the fact I’m a girl. Anyway I kept telling him it’s their problem not mine and eventually he backed off
Teacher B:
Showed me that the sniggering and sly comments were all bravado and that they were actually completely lost in all the new content. He told me that I should continue as I am and they just have to deal with the fact that girls can do stem to.
A year on and some of them have dropped after AS (like I said they were struggling), I topped the class and they’re finally calming down about my existence, yes they’re still not happy about it but they’re much better at keeping it to themselves now. Tbh I know a few of them are terrified of me 😂 lol because they’ve never spoken to a girl before which I think is hilarious.
In summary, you keep being yourself as it’s their problem not yours. Snapping back/ retaliation is a difficult one and generally it’s easier to stay away from that type of thing. Once the boys told everyone I was 5 months pregnant so the next day I wore my tightest bodycon dress- that soon stopped the rumours. Work hard and you’ll do well, then they’ll have nothing to giggle about. You go show them how it’s done!
LouLou89
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi Anele,Firstly, please keep contributing to your classes your, though hindering your own imput you will not cease to be bullied as the bullys very nature is to find some way to make you demeaned therefore do not let them take away the pleasure of engaging in your classes.Secondly you do need to have a conversation with a tutor as it is their role to control the learning enviroment and either manage or remove the problem. I personally experianced this kind of treatment throughout school and I will be honest it wasnt easy to deal with I tried collaberation, friendship and confrontation but I found the best way was to understand my bully, realise they were the little weak one who was so self concious they could only feel better about themselves by attempting to make others worse which is pathetic and sad really. So I know its easier said than done but try and remember everytime they snigger it is because they probably dont actually understand the content and are making up for their own insecurities and you are the one who will be off to better things like university or a decent job where intelligent imput is well respected.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (109)
17.99%
It's just nice to be back! (163)
26.9%
Not great so far... (217)
35.81%
I want to drop out! (117)
19.31%

Watched Threads