Poll: Should this bill be passed into law?
As many as those who are of that opinion, aye (23)
51.11%
On the contrary, no (16)
35.56%
Abstain. (6)
13.33%
This discussion is closed.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago

What is this thread about?
This is a vote in the Model House of Commons (MHoC). This item has already been debated in the House, and is now being voted on by MPs. If you're not an MP, please do not vote or comment here, even if you are able to do so!

What is the MHoC?
It's a political role-playing game where we pretend to be the House of Commons, and it's been going since 2005. We have formed parties, we have elections twice a year, and we debate bills and motions just like the real-life parliament. If you want to know more about how the MHoC works, your first port of call is the user manual. If you'd like to get involved and possibly join a party, you want the welcome thread.

"B1512 – Drinking Water Bill 2019 – Second Reading, CatusStarbright MP

Image*

Drinking Water Bill 2019* A Bill to ensure free access to drinking water.

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-*

1: Definitions*
For the purposes of this Act:
(1) ‘Drinking water’ means water deemed fit for drinking.
(2) ‘Customer’ means any person who has made a purchase from the establishment in question.
(3) ‘Establishment’ means any club, restaurant, cafe, public house, bar, food truck etc. with a mains water supply of drinking water.*
(4) ‘Vessel’ means any container no more than two litres in capacity*

2: Customer access to drinking water*
(1) Customers are entitled to free drinking water from an establishment upon request.
(2) This includes, but is not limited to, the filling of water bottles and the provision of drinking water in any vessel.

3. Public access to drinking water*
(1) Members of the general public are entitled to free drinking water from an establishment upon request.*
(2) This includes, but is not limited to, the filling of water bottles and the provision of drinking water in any vessel. *

4: Commencement, Short Title, Extent and Conditions*

(1) This bill shall come into force upon Royal Assent. (2) This bill may be cited as the Drinking Water Act 2019.*
(3) This bill extends to the United Kingdom.*

Spoiler:
Show

Notes Access to clean drinking water when out and about should be easier than it is, especially on hotter days. Setting down this entitlement in law does not place an onerous burden on establishment owners, but allows people to get a drink if they need to.

Spoiler:
Show

Changes for Second Reading ‘Vessel’ has been defined to introduce some limitations.* The definition of ‘establishment’ has also been clarified to specify that it means places with a mains water supply.* The weather requirement previously placed upon section 3 has been removed.

Last edited by Andrew97; 1 year ago
Jammy Duel
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Nay, stop being a scrounger and either buy a bottle of water or, crazy thought, think ahead and take one with you when it's hot.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Andrew97, once you've done the update, tiny point of order, this is V1512 not VB1512
Andrew97
Rep:
?
(Original post by 04MR17)
Andrew97, once you've done the update, tiny point of order, this is V1512 not VB1512
Typo. Will sort.
SoggyCabbages
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Nay. It shouldn't be up to restaurants/cafes/establishments etc do go out of their way to give you free water when you could just use a brain cell and bring water with you. ORRRRRRRRRRR just buy a bottle in a Supermarket.
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
Nay, stop being a scrounger and either buy a bottle of water or, crazy thought, think ahead and take one with you when it's hot.
(Original post by SoggyCabbages)
Nay. It shouldn't be up to restaurants/cafes/establishments etc do go out of their way to give you free water when you could just use a brain cell and bring water with you. ORRRRRRRRRRR just buy a bottle in a Supermarket.
I actually always take a bottle with me if I will be gone longer than 1-2 hours.
The Mogg
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Naaaaaaaaay.
Jammy Duel
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by CatusStarbright)
I actually always take a bottle with me if I will be gone longer than 1-2 hours.
And that is reason not to oppose this because?
username2998742
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ayeeeeeeeeeeeee
shadowdweller
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Seems reasonable to me.
abucha3
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Absolutely not. It is not the responsibility of private business to ensure you have water to drink. Either bring some with you, or go to any supermarket, newsagents or cafe and buy a bottle of water.

Definitely not
ns_2
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This bill made some sense when it included the weather requirements as then it was addressing a potential public health issue - and methods could be made to compensate firms for such an event. But, sadly, I feel this incarnation has no true justification - either think ahead, or go and buy a bottle.
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
And that is reason not to oppose this because?
It was a response to refute what others were suggesting were my habits.
FantasticMsFox
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I honestly don't know whether to vote aye or no so will be abstaining. Marks and Spencer cafes have a jug of water and glasses by the side. I've never asked for water at my local small cafe so don't know if they offer it. Maybe it would be best to let businesses decide for themselves whether they'll offer water to customers or not. I know of a Costa Coffee near me that participates in a bottle refill scheme.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
One ineligible Aye vote has been removed for Greywolftwo (Not an MP)
Andrew97
Rep:
?
The ayes to the right, 22
The Noes to the left, 16
Abstains, 6
Turnout: 88%

The Ayes have it, The Ayes have it. Unlock!!!!! (Lets see how many exclamation marks I can get away with before annoying the DS)
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (180)
14.5%
I'm not sure (57)
4.59%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (367)
29.57%
I have already dropped out (36)
2.9%
I'm not a current university student (601)
48.43%

Watched Threads