Deputy Prime Minister, Question Time. Watch

This discussion is closed.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
The Deputy PM (DPM) JMR2019. will now take questions from the house for 48 hours. The following rules apply

• The Shadow DPM (EagleKingdom) will get 6 questions. Which can be divided up between new and follow-up as he wishes.
  • Leaders of other parties may ask three questions, which they may divide up between new and follow-up questions as they wish.
  • MPs may ask two questions, plus two follow-up questions.
  • Ordinary users may ask one question with one follow-up.
CatusStarbright
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
How has the Liberal Democrat Party's leadership change impacted the Government, from your perspective?
JMR2019.
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by CatusStarbright)
How has the Liberal Democrat Party's leadership change impacted the Government, from your perspective?
I think the Liberal Democrats have been good coalition partners, and we have agreed most of the time. When we have disagreed, the dialogue has been constructive and has often led to better policy making.
Connor27
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Does the deputy prime minister believe that Karl Marx’s destructive ideas have caused tens of millions of deaths worldwide and therefore should be condemned in the strongest possible terms?
JMR2019.
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Connor27)
Does the deputy prime minister believe that Karl Marx’s destructive ideas have caused tens of millions of deaths worldwide and therefore should be condemned in the strongest possible terms?
I disagree with the Honourable member, that while I by no means aceept and agree with everything Marx wrote, it would be worth remembering Tony Benn's words on this matter when he said 'It is wholly wrong to blame Marx for what was done in his name, as it is to blame Jesus for what was done in his'.
The Mogg
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
How does the deputy prime minister feel about the fact that technically the Labour party should have been shut down due to there not being a post in their sub forum for over a month at one point?
JMR2019.
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by The Mogg)
How does the deputy prime minister feel about the fact that technically the Labour party should have been shut down due to there not being a post in their sub forum for over a month at one point?
We should have more on site activity and the honorable member's point has been noted.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Does the Deputy Prime Ministers agrée with me that with to mess IRL we now see the need for the U.K. to have a written codified constitution?
JMR2019.
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Aph)
Does the Deputy Prime Ministers agrée with me that with to mess IRL we now see the need for the U.K. to have a written codified constitution?
I disagree with the honorable member. In my opinion an uncodified constitution can provide a degree of flexibility in times of crisis like this and I believe the current constitutional arrangement allows for the greatest degree of progressive change to be legislated in a way that a codified constitution would not.
abucha3
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Mr Speaker, could the Deputy Prime Minister outline to the House whether the Government believes that drinking water should be free of charge, and as a consequence believe that private businesses should be forced to provide drinking water to the general public? Could the Deputy Prime Minister give the official Government position?
JMR2019.
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by abucha3)
Mr Speaker, could the Deputy Prime Minister outline to the House whether the Government believes that drinking water should be free of charge, and as a consequence believe that private businesses should be forced to provide drinking water to the general public? Could the Deputy Prime Minister give the official Government position?
The government has no official position with regards to the bill in question, and it is up to MPs to vote with their conscience.
abucha3
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by JMR2019.)
The government has no official position with regards to the bill in question, and it is up to MPs to vote with their conscience.
Mr Speaker, in that case could the Deputy Prime Minister explain to the House whether the Government has a policy on the regulation of private business? Is this a Government that believes that private businesses should be regulated in the name of providing the public with a service? Given the bill in question, currently going through the House, hits to the very core of the issue of regulation of private business, surely the Government would have an official policy, or should the MPs be dictating policy to the Government?
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Mr Speaker, in that case could the Deputy Prime Minister explain to the House whether the Government has a policy on the regulation of private business? Is this a Government that believes that private businesses should be regulated in the name of providing the public with a service? Given the bill in question, currently going through the House, hits to the very core of the issue of regulation of private business, surely the Government would have an official policy, or should the MPs be dictating policy to the Government?
If Government dictates policies to its MPs and MPs aren't happy with those policies how can a government pass anything?
I for one do not believe in forcing any MP to vote against their will.

You raise a valid point about the regulation of private business which I will leave to the DMP to answer, but a generic stance on that broader issue should not translate to forced voting on the specific bill in question.

Given all MPs are involved in the manifesto writing process and in the coalition negotiations regarding policy agreements, I'd say MPs already dictate party policy, it should not be up to individuals in leadership positions to dream policies up and everyone else goes along with it - frankly I'd worry if any party were doing this.
The Mogg
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
We should have more on site activity and the honorable member's point has been noted.
Fair enough. As a follow up, does the deputy prime minister feel that this should be something to be looked at in the GD, and changed to benefit the party/parties in a coalition government such as the Labour Party right now?
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Mr Speaker,

Will the Deputy Prime Minister join with me in agreeing that the intrusion into the private grief of the family of Ben Stokes by The Sun is disgraceful?
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I think the Liberal Democrats have been good coalition partners, and we have agreed most of the time. When we have disagreed, the dialogue has been constructive and has often led to better policy making.
Thank you for your reply, however I was more wanting to ask if the transition had been smooth within government, and if it had resulted in any changes in policy direction?
JMR2019.
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by CatusStarbright)
Thank you for your reply, however I was more wanting to ask if the transition had been smooth within government, and if it had resulted in any changes in policy direction?
Yes, the transition had been smooth. Not too many changes in policy direction really that I can think of.
JMR2019.
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by barnetlad)
Mr Speaker,

Will the Deputy Prime Minister join with me in agreeing that the intrusion into the private grief of the family of Ben Stokes by The Sun is disgraceful?
I join the honourable member in condemning the Sun's story about Ben Stokes' family. Nobody should be subjected to that sort of intrusion of privacy, and this is the lowest form of journalism (if it can even be called that).
JMR2019.
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by The Mogg)
Fair enough. As a follow up, does the deputy prime minister feel that this should be something to be looked at in the GD, and changed to benefit the party/parties in a coalition government such as the Labour Party right now?
Yes, I think the honorable member makes a good point. When we are in government then there is not much need to actually post in our own forum except for party policy making for the next election.. Etc.
JMR2019.
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
We believe that private businesses should be regulated because private business looks after their own interests whereas our government's aim is to benefit all people. With regards to the bill in question, we believe in letting MPs vote with their own mind on this issue and we trust that they'll make the right decision.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (19)
6.6%
They might tell the bully (29)
10.07%
I don't think they'd understand (44)
15.28%
It might lead to more bullying (106)
36.81%
There's nothing they could do (90)
31.25%

Watched Threads