The Student Room Group

Additional maths

Right, I'm coming up to 26 wanting to do something a bit better than I currently am, been looking through some army roles and for some they require A-C in maths, science and english. I only got a D in maths but got a B in additional Maths so I'm just wondering whether the B would count as my A-C in maths? Thanks in advance for any help
Original post by Gregg5
Right, I'm coming up to 26 wanting to do something a bit better than I currently am, been looking through some army roles and for some they require A-C in maths, science and english. I only got a D in maths but got a B in additional Maths so I'm just wondering whether the B would count as my A-C in maths? Thanks in advance for any help

Most likely not I’m afraid, however, you could always go to a job centre and mention this? The exams for GCSEs have also changed, you would only need a grade 4 to pass your exams which is equivalent to a C. You could always resist your maths in a nearby college perhaps?
Original post by Gregg5

Hi Gregg5,
Are you looking at joining as a soldier or an officer? To join as a soldier you do not necessarily need any GCSEs, and the academic requirements depend on the role. The GCSE A-C requirement you mention is to join as an Army officer. More detail on both, and on roles as a soldier, is available on our website https://apply.army.mod.uk/how-to-join/can-i-join/qualifications# or calling the Recruiting Centre on 0345 600 8080
Reply 3
Original post by Hazzabear
Most likely not I’m afraid, however, you could always go to a job centre and mention this? The exams for GCSEs have also changed, you would only need a grade 4 to pass your exams which is equivalent to a C. You could always resist your maths in a nearby college perhaps?

One of the things I've been looking at only requires A-D, I think that will probably have to do. No way I'm going to college whilst at work haha that would write me off, thanks for the input anyway
Original post by Gregg5
One of the things I've been looking at only requires A-D, I think that will probably have to do. No way I'm going to college whilst at work haha that would write me off, thanks for the input anyway

No worries, good luck with your carer :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by ArmyOfficerInfo
Hi Gregg5,
Are you looking at joining as a soldier or an officer? To join as a soldier you do not necessarily need any GCSEs, and the academic requirements depend on the role. The GCSE A-C requirement you mention is to join as an Army officer. More detail on both, and on roles as a soldier, is available on our website https://apply.army.mod.uk/how-to-join/can-i-join/qualifications# or calling the Recruiting Centre on 0345 600 8080

I was looking at the role of aircraft technician (A-C), but I think I might go with vehicle mechanic (A-D) as I have all the required grades for that, thanks
Original post by Gregg5
I was looking at the role of aircraft technician (A-C), but I think I might go with vehicle mechanic (A-D) as I have all the required grades for that, thanks

Brilliant. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest