Is it too late/challenging for me to become a dentist through an access course? Watch

juulpod
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to ask a few question and see if they're any options for me in the position i'm in, little bit of a backstory so you understand where i'm coming from. I'm 21 and only achieved a few GCSE's at grade C with the relevant ones to this being Maths and English. I failed science with only achieving two C grades in bio and chem and a D grade in physics and my coursework, bringing the overall grade to be a D.

I've always wanted to be a dentist or work in the medical field from a young age but never felt like i would be able to achieve this goal as i'm very self deprecating and i missed lots of school for health reason leading me to never actually try, in truth i think i've just been feeling sorry for myself and let it stop me doing the things i would love to give a go. I chose a travel and tourism BTEC at college as i didn't have a single clue what to pick and stuck to it through a level 2 and 3 diploma; as i liked the routine and feeling like i had a purpose, although i did have a moment of madness and switch to a different tourism related course for 1 day. I saw that course through until i had to drop out of the extended course as i had a big allergic reaction to a drug i was on and the doctor recommended i enroll myself the next academic year once my issues were sorted. (I do just want to add i tried to stay on the course for as long as possible but it just became to much)

Fast forward roughly 2 years I'm now currently seeing a new doctor and i have an appointment with him the end of october with a promise to treat my issues once and for all. I'm now left with a chance to finally get back into the swing of life but with what feels like no qualifications to help me get a job i would enjoy and feeling stuck. This is where the access course comes in as i found out about them a few months ago and have been scouring the internet looking up information on them and it seems like it could be a viable option for me, albeit if i retake my GCSE's. Has anyone started from scratch with GCSE's to attend an access course and made it into uni? if so, how difficult was the workload? am i being to ambitious? have i missed my chance at going to uni? If anyone has any thoughts and ideas i'd love to hear them.

Thanks.
juulpod
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
please someone answer me haha
DedicatedWizard
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Best thing to do is speak to the college doing the Access course ASAP. I did an Access to Science course and I got into Queen Mary University to study physics so it is possible!

Most universities accept Access, because it's equivalent to A-Levels. It's more intensive though and all the content is compressed into one year so you won't study everything the A-Level students have done. However, unis do realise mature students have life experience and they know you will be committed to the course since you went and did an Access course.

Please check out the 'Access to HE' threads on here. There is a lot more information on there. I would advise asking the college if you can apply for dentistry or they have had students who went on to study dentistry through their Access course.

What you need to do: Go over to the college today and enquire about the Access course. Enrol if you can do that today. Bring your ID and certificates etc. You might have to do an assessment to show your capability in English and Maths. It's relatively straight forward though so don't worry too much.

Access courses will have started by now, but it's only been two weeks so you will have time to catch up.
DedicatedWizard
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You need GCSE English and Maths but you can take one of those alongside your Access course. It's doable because I know a girl who did that and passed with flying colours. She got into King's to study Biology (or something similar).

There's nothing wrong with being ambitious. You want to improve your situation and that's really admirable!

Good Luck and please give us an update!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (128)
18.23%
It's just nice to be back! (192)
27.35%
Not great so far... (251)
35.75%
I want to drop out! (131)
18.66%

Watched Threads