Mum angry at my eating Watch

student11hi
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi so I'm a 18 year old long-distance runner. I compete at a very high level (often racing overseas) and have to train many times per week for this. To do well in the sport, it is important to have a low body fat percentage, and this has always been the hardest part of the sport for me - I love to eat. I have gained probably 6 kilograms over the last few months and I'm overeating most days. I only ever eat 'healthy' food - I am very good at being strict with this - but I will eat until I'm feeling quite full and I can't seem to stop before then.

Yesterday I binged on some muesli while my mum was at work. Today I woke up, asked her how she slept, and she said "terrible!!!" and said she couldn't sleep well because she was so angry. She's upset I ate 'so much' muesli and yelled at me for a while about how I eat too much and said I eat at least 5000 calories per day (I don't think this is true!! I am relatively heavy for a long-distance runner of my level but still kinda thin (but muscly) by normal standards) and yelled that I'll have diabetes by the end of the year for sure.

Even over the last year she has always been saying 'now remember, you don't have to eat all of this. Just eat until you're not hungry', and 'are you sure you need more?' and 'you have eaten so much' and 'you always keep eating and you're never full' and 'you are hungry all the time because you overeat and your stomach has become really stretched because of this' and complains saying she has to buy way more food now. I burnt about 2500 calories from my run on Sunday and when I got home and had something to eat, I was still hungry and wanted to get something else to eat, and she said I had eaten enough and to wait at least two hours so I didn't stretch my stomach even more.

The first time I remember her making me feel bad about my weight was when I was 14 and a smaller runner beat me, and she said to someone else (within earshot of me) that I lost (I still came 2nd!) because I weighed 10kg more than that runner. Personally I think it would have been 5kg and the runner was shorter than me too, but it was really upsetting.

Since then I've just been in a cycle of losing weight for big races and then often gaining it back on and I know this is my problem but I feel like my mum is making it all so much worse. I now feel embarrassed to eat in front of her because she judges what I eat. I made homemade pizza the other day instead of having store-bought pizza, because I enjoy eating healthily and want to get back to race weight, and I added some extra pineapple to my pizza and mum said 'no you've got enough, I thought you wanted to have a healthy pizza? There are X calories in that tin'

I'm really struggling!
OR321
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
She’s not the brightest of the bunch because it’s obvious if you’re running a lot, then you’ll be more hungry. (Not tryna sounds like a d*ck btw 😂). She’s obviously tryna care for you but just tell her to back off a bit in the nicest way possible
Last edited by OR321; 4 weeks ago
student11hi
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by OR321)
She’s not the brightest of the bunch because it’s obvious if you’re running a lot, then you’ll be more hungry. (Not tryna sounds like a d*ck btw 😂)
Well I definitely eat more than I need to eat. I probably mindlessly think/say I'm hungry when I'm not anymore
OR321
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by student11hi)
Well I definitely eat more than I need to eat. I probably mindlessly think/say I'm hungry when I'm not anymore
Maybe find something else to do about your cravings? Talk to a nutritionist or something. Or check for some good snacks online
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
If you're eating a significantly bigger amount of food now then it's only fair that you contribute to the increase in the food shopping bill or buy your own food
amy_ruth
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Talk to a nutritionist and plan your meals in advance. Eat high protein foods that’ll fill you up quicker. Lower your calorie intake by a little bit each day.
Welshvisitor
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Your mum is not knowledgeable about calories burnt in sport and was cruel to have said you lost a race by coming second. Too many parents consider themselves experts on everything their children do without having done them themselves and your mum is one of those. A calorie burner smart watch will help as it’ll give hard evidence of your calories burnt and consumed. She would be most unwise to argue with that.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (139)
17.77%
It's just nice to be back! (211)
26.98%
Not great so far... (281)
35.93%
I want to drop out! (151)
19.31%

Watched Threads