Heva10
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I Got average GCSE’s with one 8, five 7s , three 6s and two 5s( highest grade in gcse pe as the whole year as everyone failed and English language I was 2 marks of a 6 but school didn’t wanna pay for a remark). I’m doing a level biology,chemistry maths and psychology. I plan to do well in my a levels but I want someone to tell honestly if it will be enough for medicine or what other careers should I consider with my a levels.
PastelColours
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Personally,I think if you just work hard to get the best possible predicted grades and high bmat/ucat scores then you’ll be fine. You’ll just have to apply to unis which don’t put emphasis on gcse grades. However for English language most med schools want a 6, all the best x
Gurdeepthelegend
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It’s unlikely. You’d need at least a 7 in maths and English. If you didn’t get that you should retake. Some med schools accept gcse retakes. Most people applying to med schools are applying with all grade 8s
PastelColours
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
ecolier is the guy for this anyways x
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Heva10)
I Got average GCSE’s with one 8, five 7s , three 6s and two 5s( highest grade in gcse pe as the whole year as everyone failed and English language I was 2 marks of a 6 but school didn’t wanna pay for a remark). I’m doing a level biology,chemistry maths and psychology. I plan to do well in my a levels but I want someone to tell honestly if it will be enough for medicine or what other careers should I consider with my a levels.
It is important to do your research. Some med schools have very high GCSE requirements (e.g. Oxford, Cardiff), others don't at all.

You will probably find the English Language grade is your biggest barrier. Its very unfortunate you didn't pay for a remark. You may need to retake.
RM0603
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You should be fine, just avoid GCSEs heavy universities..
Stick to the unis that have low GCSEs requirements or the ones that have none.
As long as you get High grades at a levels and a high UCAT score you should be good to go
The only thing that matters is if you really want to study medicine as it’s quite time consuming and does take effort.
It’s more people contact and communicating and if your only doing just for the money, it’s not worth it
If you absolutely love the fact that you’ll be able to help someone and provide care for them, then us career is good for you..
If you require any further information
Please don’t hesitate to contact me
dan150999
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You can do so many careers with your A levels- science degrees, engineering, economics, it's a really good mix. Whether you get into Medicine depends on A level grades and UKCAT a lot more for some universities so if you don't do well in those you don't stand a chance. Your GCSEs are a bit weak but you need to research which universities don't care as much about GCSEs and then see what the GCSE requirements are for those universities on their website. No point applying to unis like Cardiff who need amazing GCSE results.
Laycity
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
There are a handful of medical schools that will accept a 5 in English but resitting and getting 6 will give you lots more options. Your other GCSE grades are fine for the less GCSE heavy schools. Entrance tests are very important for medicine (UCAT/BMAT)
Last edited by Laycity; 3 weeks ago
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
First of all, if you want to increase your chances, do only 3 subjects (Bio, Chem + 1 other in anything). If you do 4, there'll be a chance of you performing worse on everything. Whereas, if you do 3 you'll be less stressed (and can potentially dedicate some time to retaking English Language). Doing 4 A levels won't give you an advantage, by the way. No university asks for more than 3 and if you end up offering more, they'll simply ignore it.
Heva10
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Should I take a level physics instead of psychology to open up more options like engineering or material sciences or should I just stick with psychology.
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Should I take a level physics instead of psychology to open up more options like engineering or material sciences or should I just stick with psychology.
Completely up to you. Do what you enjoy more / will do better on.
Keewi
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Gurdeepthelegend)
It’s unlikely. You’d need at least a 7 in maths and English. If you didn’t get that you should retake. Some med schools accept gcse retakes. Most people applying to med schools are applying with all grade 8s
No you need at least a 6
I got 99998886A and still applying for medicine
Gurdeepthelegend
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Keewi)
No you need at least a 6
I got 99998886A and still applying for medicine
They look heavily at maths. People applying have 9s in maths and medicine is very competitive. They heavily prioritise people with high grades in maths and English, meaning if you dont have at least a 7 in maths and English then you won’t even get considered. Unis don’t care about other subjects other than science maths and English. However other unis prioritise a levels and don’t care too much about gcse grades
Laycity
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
They look heavily at maths. People applying have 9s in maths and medicine is very competitive. They heavily prioritise people with high grades in maths and English, meaning if you dont have at least a 7 in maths and English then you won’t even get considered. Unis don’t care about other subjects other than science maths and English. However other unis prioritise a levels and don’t care too much about gcse grades
Have you made this up? They are talking about medicine. Admission requirements are quite clear on individual web sites, most require a 6 in maths.
Keewi
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
This really does depend on which uni's you are applying to.
Some uni's heavily rely on your GCSE's and others less so.

Every uni requires a minimum of a 6 in a subject such as english lang or maths.
Because I got 9s in all sciences and maths but got a 6 in language, it should even out.
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Keewi)
This really does depend on which uni's you are applying to.
Some uni's heavily rely on your GCSE's and others less so.

Every uni requires a minimum of a 6 in a subject such as english lang or maths.
Because I got 9s in all sciences and maths but got a 6 in language, it should even out.
No they don't! There are 10 med schools that accept lower than a 6 in Eng Lang. Plus 14 that do not require a 6 in maths.
And you cannot "even out" failing to meet minimum requirements with stronger results in other areas, if a 6 is good enough, it is good enough, if it's not, yo are rejected regardless of other results
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (131)
17.99%
It's just nice to be back! (197)
27.06%
Not great so far... (263)
36.13%
I want to drop out! (137)
18.82%

Watched Threads