Car insurance and fixed penalties Watch

This discussion is closed.
wiktoriaox_x.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I am fully insured on my car, my friend drove it and she is not insured on any car and she got a fixed penalty for when she was speeding in my car. Will they look into her insurance details or is it okay because my car is insured by me ?
gracewb_93
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The penalty should land on you, rather than her as you are the person insured on the car and therefore they will assume you were driving it.
Any fine or licence points will be sent to you.
However your friend will most likely be fine as they have no reason to look into her insurance details.
Last edited by gracewb_93; 4 weeks ago
johnnyliu8
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by wiktoriaox_x.)
I am fully insured on my car, my friend drove it and she is not insured on any car and she got a fixed penalty for when she was speeding in my car. Will they look into her insurance details or is it okay because my car is insured by me ?
I do not think so because once the car is insured by someone that fine. However, if your friend gets in an accident and even though she wasn't wrong, she would still have to pay for the damages that occurred because she is not on the insurance policies.
They tend to look at insurance details if you get in an accident or if the car is at least insured by someone.
wiktoriaox_x.
Rep:
?
(Original post by gracewb_93)
The penalty should land on you, rather than her as you are the person insured on the car and therefore they will assume you were driving it.
However your friend will most likely be fine as they have no reason to look into her insurance details.
I understand where you’re coming from but when the fixed penalty came through it asked me who was the driver at the time of the offence and I put down her details and now all the correspondence goes to her address and it’s addressed to her so I don’t think they would put the blame on me for her driving
wiktoriaox_x.
Rep:
?
(Original post by johnnyliu8)
I do not think so because once the car is insured by someone that fine. However, if your friend gets in an accident and even though she wasn't wrong, she would still have to pay for the damages that occurred because she is not on the insurance policies.
They tend to look at insurance details if you get in an accident or if the car is at least insured by someone.
Yeah that is what I thought. I didn’t think they would be looking into insurance details as this is a separate thing from speeding really. Well at least I hope so as she was not involved in any accident or anything was just a fixed penalty for speeding.
gracewb_93
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I understand where you’re coming from but when the fixed penalty came through it asked me who was the driver at the time of the offence and I put down her details and now all the correspondence goes to her address and it’s addressed to her so I don’t think they would put the blame on me for her driving
Oh fair enough in that case you’re fine.
wiktoriaox_x.
Rep:
?
Oh fair enough in that case you’re fine.
Yeah I just hope they won’t look into her insurance details as obv then they will see she’s not got any insurance. I think as long as the car is insured by someone it should be fine but not sure at all
gracewb_93
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yeah I just hope they won’t look into her insurance details as obv then they will see she’s not got any insurance. I think as long as the car is insured by someone it should be fine but not sure at all
The car being insured by someone doesn’t make it fine. It is only insured to you and she can’t legally drive it as your insurance doesn’t cover her.
You will both get away with it as long as they don’t check her insurance, which they most likely won’t. However i wouldn’t let them drive it again as it’s not legal and you will get in trouble for knowingly letting someone uninsured drive your car. Most likely your insurance company would cancel your insurance and you’ll struggle to find another company to take you.
So basically, you should be fine this time but what they didn’t isn’t okay and I wouldn’t let it happen again.
Dexter321
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
This is a duplicate raised by OP.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6146018
RoyalSheepy
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The hell are you on about? The NIP is served to the registered keeper however, it is the registered keepers duty to inform the issuers who was driving.

OP, did you let your friend drive uninsured by any chance?
RoyalSheepy
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thread closed, don’t make duplicate threads
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (115)
66.47%
No I haven't decided yet (35)
20.23%
Yes but I might change my mind (23)
13.29%

Watched Threads