Hosting Pres (freshers week) Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Okay so I know it's weird but I've never really been to a good pres or hosted one. I've offered to have one at my flat for freshers week however but my awkward a** needs help on what to actually do/provide haha. Game ideas?? Tips?? What do I need to provide etc.
vicvic38
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Firstly, bill it as BOA (Bring own Alcohol) this is a perfectly fine thing to do. It's a standard, and will prevent people showing up without. By "hosting" in effect you are providing a space rather than refreshments. Polite people will also bring booze for the room. Remember those people, they will be good friends.

Maybe have like a bottle of Vodka, or some mixers maybe, for the room. Also have whatever you want to drink.

Good games could include ring of fire or Irish snap. You could make relations (where you have to go around and name things related to the last thing said without repetition) a drinking game if you wanted.

I wouldn't worry to much though. People bring their own ideas for games, and sometimes they're not even necessary.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
bump
Tonic Water
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
vicvic38 sums it up nicely. Maybe have some crisps or something on hand for anybody who needs some alcohol soaking up but otherwise you're more there to provide a location.
Manitude
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
As above, market it as BYOB. Unlike above, don't try and get people to play drinking games. Unless it happens naturally it's just a barrier to having a fun night. I've never been to a university party where a drinking game has improved the experience, and I've been at university for a long time.

Try to get some sort of speaker with a playlist going through a phone on it. Given that you'll probably have a mix of people, keep the playlist quite general and make sure to throw in some classic tunes that literally everyone will know (like ABBA, Queen, Chumbawamba, Daft Punk, Oasis and that sort of thing).

If it's anything like the house party we had at our house in fresher's week, keep an eye on people that don't live there. We had some random second year trying to write stuff on our wall with a permanent marker for some reason.
vicvic38
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Manitude)
As above, market it as BYOB. Unlike above, don't try and get people to play drinking games. Unless it happens naturally it's just a barrier to having a fun night. I've never been to a university party where a drinking game has improved the experience, and I've been at university for a long time.

Try to get some sort of speaker with a playlist going through a phone on it. Given that you'll probably have a mix of people, keep the playlist quite general and make sure to throw in some classic tunes that literally everyone will know (like ABBA, Queen, Chumbawamba, Daft Punk, Oasis and that sort of thing).

If it's anything like the house party we had at our house in fresher's week, keep an eye on people that don't live there. We had some random second year trying to write stuff on our wall with a permanent marker for some reason.
You have not been to the right parties my friend. Although usually the games are drunk games, rather than drinking games haha.
MidgetFever
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I pretty much agree with the above, but just make sure you keep your valuables locked away too. My friend had a valuable ring stolen from her last year because she hadn't locked the door to her room. You don't really know these people yet so better to be safe.
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
As above, but also don’t over think it. Just chill and go with the flow don’t force or overthink anything.

I think you’ll be fine have fun
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (40)
26.67%
No (110)
73.33%

Watched Threads