MaliciousFlower
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
im doing computer a level but havent done it in gcse.. the class is really hard and everyone else has done it for gcse and im just feeling so overwhelmed and i dont know if i should drop it or not. i really like the subject and i am interested in it howveer its just really hard and i dont know if i can cope
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by MaliciousFlower)
im doing computer a level but havent done it in gcse.. the class is really hard and everyone else has done it for gcse and im just feeling so overwhelmed and i dont know if i should drop it or not. i really like the subject and i am interested in it howveer its just really hard and i dont know if i can cope
Talk to the teacher and your head of year.
You can always teach yourself GCSE.
Some of the students probably do it as a hobby as well.
You have to work out whether you like it enough and you have the aptitude to get a good grade.
Try and make the decision within the next few weeks as they only allow switches in the early stages and then its too late.
Try and work out what the really hard bits are and devote extra time to it.
winterscoming
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The A-Level CompSci syllabus itself is supposed to cover everything from basic principles without assuming any previous exposure to the subject, so you've definitely got enough time to do this. If you decide to stick with the subject, try not to get distracted by people around you who have done everything at GCSE though, focus on keeping up with the pace of the material for yourself instead.

The things which usually need the most time and effort are learning new ways of solving problems and how to think computationally - it's all about practice. Try using whichever language your college is teaching to solve some of these programming challenges and get used to the method of breaking problems down into smaller, simpler pieces then solving them one-step-at-a-time, and get used to Google'ing/StackOverflow to find snippets of code/information to help (But when you find code online, make sure you explore it and figure out what it does/how it works and try to learn by figuring out how other programmers 'think' when you're using their code.)

Some of these should help too:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (131)
17.99%
It's just nice to be back! (197)
27.06%
Not great so far... (263)
36.13%
I want to drop out! (137)
18.82%

Watched Threads