The Student Room Group
Main building
University of Bradford
Bradford

Making Friends

Hey, I’m a first year student at University of Bradford and have not made any friends yet. I am studying Biomedical Science. I feel that people may not wanna speak to me or be my friend.
Original post by Anonymous
Hey, I’m a first year student at University of Bradford and have not made any friends yet. I am studying Biomedical Science. I feel that people may not wanna speak to me or be my friend.

Hey!

I'm sorry to hear this! I think people will just be nervous and feel scared to approach to start a conversation, could you try spark a conversation with someone instead? You could ask someone if they are planning on joining a society, or what TV show they're currently watching :smile:

Speaking of societies, have you thought about joining a club or society? There is such a wide variety, and you'll be able to meet like minded people who share the same interests as you - so hopefully conversation will be that much easier!

Are you living in student accommodation? Keeping your door open is always a great piece of advice to encourage people to come say hi and maybe taking round a box of chocolates - great conversation starter!

Maybe you could look at getting involved with volunteering or becoming a student ambassador? You'll be able to meet lots of people that way too!

Making friends can be scary, but you'll soon find some great people to hang around with!

If there's anything I can help with please do let me know

Becky
Main building
University of Bradford
Bradford
Reply 2
Hey, I’m not very confident and I’m living at home and don’t have an accommodation. However, I feel extremely unconfident to speak to my peers.

Thanks Becky
Hey, I’m not very confident and I’m living at home and don’t have an accommodation. However, I feel extremely unconfident to speak to my peers.

Thanks Becky

I agree with Becky completely. It's okay not to have any friends yet as you just started. Once you get into your smaller classes you'll start seeing the same faces. Try randomly complimenting someone, say I like your hair or your outfit. It can go a long way.
Reply 4
Original post by fashfiltered
I agree with Becky completely. It's okay not to have any friends yet as you just started. Once you get into your smaller classes you'll start seeing the same faces. Try randomly complimenting someone, say I like your hair or your outfit. It can go a long way.

Hi, thank you for your help. But I’m not that confident type to say compliments I feel very shy and I’m a Male and wouldn’t say things such as this. Thank you for your reply I really appreciate it.

Thanks Becky

Hey! :smile:

Don't worry about your confidence, this is something that will improve over time. It was at university that my confidence grew!

By joining clubs or societies, you'll be introduced to so many new people, and they'll want to make you feel welcome and ensure you enjoy yourself, so this could be a great opportunity for you to make friends.

So many people will be in the same boat as you and feeling the exact same way. If you'd like to chat to our current students or student ambassadors online you can do so here: https://www.bradford.ac.uk/student-life/chat/ - You could ask about their experience of making friends and what helped them feel more confident.

Please feel free to ask me any questions, I wish you all the best with your time here!

Becky
Reply 6
Original post by University of Bradford
Hey! :smile:

Don't worry about your confidence, this is something that will improve over time. It was at university that my confidence grew!

By joining clubs or societies, you'll be introduced to so many new people, and they'll want to make you feel welcome and ensure you enjoy yourself, so this could be a great opportunity for you to make friends.

So many people will be in the same boat as you and feeling the exact same way. If you'd like to chat to our current students or student ambassadors online you can do so here: https://www.bradford.ac.uk/student-life/chat/ - You could ask about their experience of making friends and what helped them feel more confident.

Please feel free to ask me any questions, I wish you all the best with your time here!

Becky

Hi Becky, thank you for your help. I don’t know why but I always wanna sit in the corner of a lecture room and I feel shy to speak to the person next to me.
Reply 7
Could anyone else please help me with my situation.

Thanks
Could anyone else please help me with my situation.

Thanks

Hey, I'm doing the Clinical Sciences Foundation at Bradford uni, I also just started this year! :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by GoldenShade
Hey, I'm doing the Clinical Sciences Foundation at Bradford uni, I also just started this year! :smile:

Hey, sorry for the late reply.
How’s uni life and how’s the course going?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending