The Student Room Group

pharmacology applicants 2020

don’t think anyone’s made one of these yet, there was one from last year though so feel free to drop your predicted grades and where you’re thinking of applying!

I’m on a gap year now, personally I think my favourites are Bristol and manchester, as they both seem to have a focus on neuropharmacology, but I haven’t had the opportunity to look at many unis as a lot of the open days were during my exams

Scroll to see replies

What are the differences between Pharmacology, pharmaceutical science and drug discovery??? I am so confused.
Reply 2
Original post by tytytytyty
What are the differences between Pharmacology, pharmaceutical science and drug discovery??? I am so confused.

pharmaceutical science I think is similar to pharmacology but has more of a focus on the development of drugs side of things, like the chemical synthesis, which leads onto work in the pharmaceutical industry, but pharmacology is slightly broader and looks into how different drugs elicit their effects on the body and their properties, rather than focusing mainly on the development side of things. I’m not 100%, so it might be good to look at a few of both pharmacology and pharmaceutical science courses and compare the differences, especially in the modules they offer
Reply 3
I’ve sent my UCAS to Manchester, UEA (twice), UCL and Bath all for MSci or MPharmacol (and one BSc at UEA just in case)

I think the course is very niche and it’s been really hard to find others who want to study the course, so thanks for making this thread 😊
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
it’s okay, and yeah it’s literally so niche, I’m still struggling with my personal statement tbh
Reply 5
Personal statement is the worst part, I whacked mine out when I had a five free day at sixth form. I think the best way is to do one draft in one big sitting and then keep picking at it 😊
I've now finished my personal statement, here are my choices:
Bath
Bristol
UEA
Portsmouth
Hertfordshire
Predicted grades ABB
Reply 7
Aren’t Bath’s entry requirements AAB?
(edited 4 years ago)
I'm doing an epq which reduces by 1 grade if I do well in it, also I checked their clearing last year and they set the grades down all the way to BBC to try and get people in. I'm pretty hopeful.
Reply 9
I’m doing an EPQ too! Are you applying for an MSci?
hey guys! pharmacology applicant here!
i've sent my UCAS to Bristol (top choice), UEA (2nd choice), Bath, Southampton, and KCL.
i'm predicted A*AB and i also have an A* in the epq :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Mollie14
Personal statement is the worst part, I whacked mine out when I had a five free day at sixth form. I think the best way is to do one draft in one big sitting and then keep picking at it 😊

I have no idea what to include, it’s so hard now not being at school because no one is chasing me and I’m just behind! I did one for medicine last year but it was like so focused on work experience, and there’s so much help and information for medicine, whereas pharmacology being more niche i’m finding much harder
Hi my predicted grades are BBB and I’m pretty worried I won’t get any offers from Russel group unis :/ which ones will I have the best chance of getting in??
I applied for Manchester (now my firm choice) and UCL who are Russell group unis and my offers were AAB from both but that was for an MSci, I’m pretty sure for a BSc it’s ABB. It wouldn’t hurt to apply and see what happens as you never know what their cohort has been that year.

Also I’m assuming since the UCAS deadline has gone you’re applying next year?

If so speak with your teachers to see what you could do to get your grades up.

As much as Russell Group unis have great prestige and research funding it’s not the end of the world if you go to a uni that’s not part of it and there are many good unis not in the group.

If you’re applying for Pharmacology I would recommend looking at UEA (my insurance choice) as I attended a summer school there and the course looked great!
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 14
I applied for Manchester (now my firm choice) and UCL who are Russell group unis and my offers were AAB from both but that was for an MSci, I’m pretty sure for a BSc it’s ABB. It wouldn’t hurt to apply and see what happens as you never know what their cohort has been that year.

Also I’m assuming since the UCAS deadline has gone you’re applying next year?

If so speak with your teachers to see what you could do to get your grades up.

As much as Russell Group unis have great prestige and research funding it’s not the end of the world if you go to a uni that’s not part of it and there are many good unis not in the group.

If you’re applying for Pharmacology I would recommend looking at UEA (my insurance choice) as I attended a summer school there and the course looked great!

out of interest, how long did it take you to hear back from manchester? I applied on the 6th of december and I still haven’t heard anything about interviews etc yet
I applied 18th October and had an interview on the 6th November

The person who interviewed me told me he’d be advising them to make me and offer and it came through UCAS the week after
(edited 4 years ago)
i've firmed Bristol for MSci Pharmacology w. Year In Industry (AAB) and insuranced East Anglia for MSci Pharmacology and Drug Discovery (BBB w/ A in EPQ)
Reply 17

The person who interviewed me told me he’d be advising them to make me and offer and it came through UCAS the week after

that’s so quick, maybe they’re just really busy but idk why they’re still taking so long
Hi all, I'm a current 3rd year Pharmacology student at UEA, nice to see some of you considering UEA- feel free to fire any questions either here or by dm (about pharmacology, UEA or uni in general)!
Reply 19

how was your interview for manchester; I’ve got mine on the 4th, I reckon I’d probably firm it if I get an offer

Latest

Trending

Trending