julianmek
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi, I'm a current Cambridge student. I've been unsuccessful in finding out whether Cambridge students get free access to any museums, specifically in London or the greater UK area (e.g. Edinburgh or Dublin). Is there a list online? I haven't been able to find it. Thanks for any insight you can provide!
Anon0601
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Most of the main museums and galleries in London are free to everyone. Was there somewhere specific you were thinking of?
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Not specifically for Cambridge students I wouldn't have thought, but to add to the point about London most of the museums in Cambridge itself are free to the public.
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by julianmek)
Hi, I'm a current Cambridge student. I've been unsuccessful in finding out whether Cambridge students get free access to any museums, specifically in London or the greater UK area (e.g. Edinburgh or Dublin). Is there a list online? I haven't been able to find it. Thanks for any insight you can provide!
I'm not aware of any Cambridge student specific scheme. Most museums in the UK are free, if they get government funding. So most of the big London, Edinburgh, Cardiff, Dublin etc national museums.

There are 8 museums that belong to the University of Cambridge, they are all free.

If you qualify for membership of the Museums Association (which is easy to do if you are into museums), after paying the necessary fee, then most museums will let you in for free if you ring up and explain you are a member.
julianmek
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Thank you all for your responses! I'm new to Cambridge, and coming from a city with a museum-university agreement that wasn't well publicised, so it's good to know that I'm not missing out. Mostly, I was looking at the state rooms at Buckingham palace and Edinburgh castle, which are both expensive for me on a student's budget. Given that the other museums are free, it's probably worth it to just pay the admission. Also, thanks for the info about the Museums Association membership! I'm definitely going to look into it.
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by julianmek)
Thank you all for your responses! I'm new to Cambridge, and coming from a city with a museum-university agreement that wasn't well publicised, so it's good to know that I'm not missing out. Mostly, I was looking at the state rooms at Buckingham palace and Edinburgh castle, which are both expensive for me on a student's budget. Given that the other museums are free, it's probably worth it to just pay the admission. Also, thanks for the info about the Museums Association membership! I'm definitely going to look into it.
Buckingham Palace isn't a museum as far as I know, it's a commercial venture. I'm not sure Edinburgh Castle is a museum either, though I think it probably houses a few regimental museums. You aren't on the MPhil in Heritage Studies are you?
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
As above virtually all public (as in, publicly funded) museums are free for entry, however usually they have temporary exhibits etc that have an entry fee. The permanent collection will usually be free to view though. Smaller galleries (rather than museums) and private collections may have entry fees however.

All the museums of the University of Cambridge itself are free entry; offhand I think only the Fitzwilliam Museum, and perhaps Kettle's Yard Gallery, have any exhibitions on which require you to pay, from time to time. There may be other museums in the city which have an entry fee (I think the "museum of technology", basically an old steamworks, had an entry fee, but it seems to have been converted into a bar now anyway), but the university's museums are the largest and most well known regardless.
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
As above virtually all public (as in, publicly funded) museums are free for entry, however usually they have temporary exhibits etc that have an entry fee. The permanent collection will usually be free to view though. Smaller galleries (rather than museums) and private collections may have entry fees however.

All the museums of the University of Cambridge itself are free entry; offhand I think only the Fitzwilliam Museum, and perhaps Kettle's Yard Gallery, have any exhibitions on which require you to pay, from time to time. There may be other museums in the city which have an entry fee (I think the "museum of technology", basically an old steamworks, had an entry fee, but it seems to have been converted into a bar now anyway), but the university's museums are the largest and most well known regardless.
I can confirm that The Museum of Technology is still there, newly re-opened, and excellent! Well worth a visit, not government funded, so adult entry £6.

In Cambridge, as well as the Botanic Gardens, the University manages

Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology (it's got a dinosaur, so what?)
Whipple (closed atm, but reopening soon)
Scott Polar Museum (cold)
Fitzwilliam Museum (fancypants, pots and mummies)
Classical Archeology (statues with no clothes on)
Kettles Yard (eclectic mixture of old/arty stuff)
Sedgewick (rocks, the silent sort)
Museum of Zoology (the best one)
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by threeportdrift)
I can confirm that The Museum of Technology is still there, newly re-opened, and excellent! Well worth a visit, not government funded, so adult entry £6.

In Cambridge, as well as the Botanic Gardens, the University manages

Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology (it's got a dinosaur, so what?)
Whipple (closed atm, but reopening soon)
Scott Polar Museum (cold)
Fitzwilliam Museum (fancypants, pots and mummies)
Classical Archeology (statues with no clothes on)
Kettles Yard (eclectic mixture of old/arty stuff)
Sedgewick (rocks, the silent sort)
Museum of Zoology (the best one)
The Whipple is actually open again now; I think they may have only just reopened for the opencambridge event this past weekend though (or similarly recently!)
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
The Whipple is actually open again now; I think they may have only just reopened for the opencambridge event this past weekend though (or similarly recently!)
Not quite that recently because I went in June, but it may well have been part of the Old Schools refurb so not long before that.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 3 Jul '20

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (65)
23.21%
No (215)
76.79%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise