Should I lower my A level predictions? Watch

buzzybuzzybea
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
My grades that I apply to Uni with are A*A*A but I REALLY doubt I will get that - my prefered courses are A*AA OR AAA and I am confident I can make both these grades. I just think if I get a conditional on me getting that extra A* I might miss out on a place come results day. Only one person in the whole year got an actual A* last year for the subject I'm worried about . Should I just lower them a little bit to increase the chance I can meet conditional requirements, or will this hurt my chances more. Sorry, I dont go to a good school so I'm trying to work everything out myself. Any help is appreciated X
blackthrn
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
don’t, it’s rare for unis to make a higher offer just because you have above the required grades.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by buzzybuzzybea)
My grades that I apply to Uni with are A*A*A but I REALLY doubt I will get that - my prefered courses are A*AA OR AAA and I am confident I can make both these grades. I just think if I get a conditional on me getting that extra A* I might miss out on a place come results day. Only one person in the whole year got an actual A* last year for the subject I'm worried about . Should I just lower them a little bit to increase the chance I can meet conditional requirements, or will this hurt my chances more. Sorry, I dont go to a good school so I'm trying to work everything out myself. Any help is appreciated X
I don't think you even can lower them a bit since you don't enter the predicted grades on the UCAS form, the school do? You could ask your school if they would predict you A*AA instead, but as stated above, you will probably just get the standard offer for the course anyway.

What course is it you want to do at uni and where are you applying?
Admit-One
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You don’t need to achieve your predictions, you need to meet the offer you’re given. Uni’s don’t make higher offers based on predictions, you’ll just receive their typical offer.

As above, you don’t enter your predicted grades anyway, your referee does.
buzzybuzzybea
Rep:
?
(Original post by harrysbar)
I don't think you even can lower them a bit since you don't enter the predicted grades on the UCAS form, the school do? You could ask your school if they would predict you A*AA instead, but as stated above, you will probably just get the standard offer for the course anyway.

What course is it you want to do at uni and where are you applying?
My school asks us to submit our grades to them before they submit it (so we have some say) - I am applying for English at Cambridge, Exeter, UCL, Bristol and Durham. I think maybe I should call up the schools and see whether they ever put above standard offer on conditionals. Thanks for the advice!
buzzybuzzybea
Rep:
?
(Original post by Admit-One)
You don’t need to achieve your predictions, you need to meet the offer you’re given. Uni’s don’t make higher offers based on predictions, you’ll just receive their typical offer.

As above, you don’t enter your predicted grades anyway, your referee does.
Thanks! Do you know if this includes Cambridge? Also, my school asks us to fill in our grades so we have some say before they submit them for us (its so if we feel we cant make a certain grade or have been unfairly judged on a mock).
学生の父
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by buzzybuzzybea)
Thanks! Do you know if this includes Cambridge? Also, my school asks us to fill in our grades so we have some say before they submit them for us (its so if we feel we cant make a certain grade or have been unfairly judged on a mock).
Yes, if you are offered a place for English at Cambridge, it is likely that you will be made the typical A*AA offer. None of the other unis you mention would ask for higher than A*AA for English.

Do you know if your school would be included on any list of aspiring/contextual/widening access schools? If so, you might be able to get a lower offer from Bristol and/or Durham, notwithstanding the predicted grades on your school reference.
buzzybuzzybea
Rep:
?
(Original post by 学生の父)
Yes, if you are offered a place for English at Cambridge, it is likely that you will be made the typical A*AA offer. None of the other unis you mention would ask for higher than A*AA for English.

Do you know if your school would be included on any list of aspiring/contextual/widening access schools? If so, you might be able to get a lower offer from Bristol and/or Durham, notwithstanding the predicted grades on your school reference.
Yes, I'm quite lucky that I get lower offers from Bristol because of my school - I'll check on Durham
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (35)
25.18%
No (104)
74.82%

Watched Threads