Leif1001
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
So I’ve already posted about applying here, I thought I’d ask another question because I was given extremely helpful advice for the other. I’m applying to study English Literature. I’d say my personal statement is very strong and the texts I’ve included are Personal Helicon by Seamus Heaney, The Flea by John Donne, Fire and Ice by Edmund Spenser, The Handmaid’s Tale, 1984, Ecotopia by Ernest Callenbach, Vox by Christina Dalcher, Streectar Named Desire and I’ve VERY briefly mentioned Shakespeares sonnets. Oxbridge say for you to widely read - I’m concerned these texts may not meet their expectation?
meminisse19
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It seems you’ve already read widely but personally I would avoid including every single book in your PS. You have a very limited number of characters and Oxbridge aren’t impressed by simply listing what you’ve read. Maybe pick 2-3 and analyse them. What stood out to you? What connections can you make between them? What did you agree/disagree with about the authors outlook?

It’s a good idea to keep reading widely and you’ve already done well but with regard to your PS be careful about just listing them all in a row. Also, at interview, they are likely to ask you what you’ve read outside of what’s included in your PS, so best to have several extra that you haven’t included.
Leif1001
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by meminisse19)
It seems you’ve already read widely but personally I would avoid including every single book in your PS. You have a very limited number of characters and Oxbridge aren’t impressed by simply listing what you’ve read. Maybe pick 2-3 and analyse them. What stood out to you? What connections can you make between them? What did you agree/disagree with about the authors outlook?

It’s a good idea to keep reading widely and you’ve already done well but with regard to your PS be careful about just listing them all in a row. Also, at interview, they are likely to ask you what you’ve read outside of what’s included in your PS, so best to have several extra that you haven’t included.
Thank you for your advice! I kept the listing thing in mind while writing my personal statement and made sure that wasn’t the case. I read quite a lot of poetry outside of what I’ve spoken however not novels - I’ve read maybe 1 or 2 more. I’m going to read Chaucer and The Testament soon.

I thought because most of what I spoke about was 19th century literature, then that wasn’t ‘widely read’ lol
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (36)
25.71%
No (104)
74.29%

Watched Threads