Aimtogetajob
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I have been given the opportunity to take on a Ordinary BA degree rather than a BA (Hons) degree. I'm currently in my final year of the course and wanting to not go on the final placement. If I don't go on placement I loose the Qualified Teacher Status off my degree. Is it worth me completing the final placement to achieve the BA (Hons) if I don't want to follow this field of work (Teaching/Anything education based)
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Aimtogetajob)
I have been given the opportunity to take on a Ordinary BA degree rather than a BA (Hons) degree. I'm currently in my final year of the course and wanting to not go on the final placement. If I don't go on placement I loose the Qualified Teacher Status off my degree. Is it worth me completing the final placement to achieve the BA (Hons) if I don't want to follow this field of work (Teaching/Anything education based)
Yes, unless you are in Scotland and only ever want to be employed in Scotland, then an ordinary degree is useless. Get an honours degree at all costs.
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Aimtogetajob)
I would have said an Honours degree is better if you can just survive the year.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
An ordinary degree just has a pass or fail mark. You only get a degree classification with honours. So if you’re hoping to apply to any jobs that require a specific degree classification then getting your honours is important.

Some careers (creative sector particularly) don’t distinguish between honours and ordinary degrees - but generally those jobs will be selecting applicants using some additional criteria like a portfolio of work.
Motherofgreys
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I would totally do it. I was on a education course (would have had to to a PGCE though to get QTS), and due to the placement decided I no longer wanted to go into teaching - so I understand where you are coming from. But everyone expects a first/2:1/2:2, no one is looking for an ordinary BA degree. Unless you know the exact job you want to go into and can talk to them about it, I wouldn't risk it. Get the honours degree.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It’s worth asking if you can get the honours through a different route than a placement. There might be a dissertation route that’s available but not common.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (131)
17.99%
It's just nice to be back! (197)
27.06%
Not great so far... (263)
36.13%
I want to drop out! (137)
18.82%

Watched Threads