Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I feel frustrated and annoyed today. I found out I’m not in the smart group (which is the group of ppl who are going to apply for oxbridge and go on trips to it) because I didn’t get 6 eights and nines at gcse but the thing was I did! But apparently my ‘native language’ doesn’t count like wth!?? I got an A* in Persian and it doesn’t count. I went to a school that taught Persian every Saturday 10am-5pm for 6 years to learn the language fluently because I only understood it back then. I was a crap speaker at it and was illiterate in it back then. Besides it’s not my native language!! It’s like my third language my second is Arabic and I didn’t do a gcse for it because of tight schedules and I was going to do it this year but now the college says there’s no point but the teacher said no that is my native language. I am fluent in Arabic and Persian and went to schools for each one to learn them fully but my friend who’s fluent in french and got a 9 was accepted into the smart group because of that 9. I feel really really frustrated and that I’ve been dropped very low after working hard. I will defo speak with them again but i feel immensely frustrated and disappointed. Replies to change my mood?
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
Sorry about that, no school should have a smart group though that’s discriminatory and sorry to say this senseless. It’s not all oxbridge applicants who have A*s floating around everywhere. You should definitely try talking to them but if it doesn’t work out just focus on your studies and aim to do better than those they put in this “smart group” so they can swallow their words. Okay don’t let that get to you.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Anonymous)
Sorry about that, no school should have a smart group though that’s discriminatory and sorry to say this senseless. It’s not all oxbridge applicants who have A*s floating around everywhere. You should definitely try talking to them but if it doesn’t work out just focus on your studies and aim to do better than those they put in this “smart group” so they can swallow their words. Okay don’t let that get to you.
Thank you yes absolutely if speaking to them doesn’t work then I’ll need to soar above them!!!
Asp.MED
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thank you yes absolutely if speaking to them doesn’t work then I’ll need to soar above them!!!
That’s the SPIRIT!!
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I feel frustrated and annoyed today. I found out I’m not in the smart group (which is the group of ppl who are going to apply for oxbridge and go on trips to it) because I didn’t get 6 eights and nines at gcse but the thing was I did! But apparently my ‘native language’ doesn’t count like wth!?? I got an A* in Persian and it doesn’t count. I went to a school that taught Persian every Saturday 10am-5pm for 6 years to learn the language fluently because I only understood it back then. I was a crap speaker at it and was illiterate in it back then. Besides it’s not my native language!! It’s like my third language my second is Arabic and I didn’t do a gcse for it because of tight schedules and I was going to do it this year but now the college says there’s no point but the teacher said no that is my native language. I am fluent in Arabic and Persian and went to schools for each one to learn them fully but my friend who’s fluent in french and got a 9 was accepted into the smart group because of that 9. I feel really really frustrated and that I’ve been dropped very low after working hard. I will defo speak with them again but i feel immensely frustrated and disappointed. Replies to change my mood?
Your school doesn't control your university choices - you do.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Congratulations on the A* in Persian and all your 8s and 9s!
You can speak at least two more languages than me.

Don't feel sidelined or disheartened.
School support and teacher opinions do not ensure a successful uni application- personal ambition, commitment, hard work and some good luck do.
What subjects are you interested in studying at Oxbridge?
Anonymous #1
Thank you very much! I was thinking natural sciences or biochemistry
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (65)
23.21%
No (215)
76.79%

Watched Threads