Birmingham Uni has dumped its Unconditional if Firm scheme Watch

学生の父
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
The university looks like it will be making what it calls "Attainment Offers" to candidates for certain degree programmes who are predicted high A-level grades. This means if a candidate firms their Birmingham offer, they will still have to attain CCC at A-level to get in.

I only discovered this when I was looking at their Offer Calculator tool today.

They have quietly stopped their Unconditional Offer scheme whereby candidates who made Birmingham their Firm choice would have their offer made Unconditional immediately.

There is a Times article on this subject dated 12 September behind the paywall -- https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/b...fers-t83vt79ns

The change really does seem have been an unheralded retreat from the university's earlier practice, and as the Times article points out, other universities are now likely to follow suit.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by 学生の父)
The university looks like it will be making what it calls "Attainment Offers" to candidates for certain degree programmes who are predicted high A-level grades. This means if a candidate firms their Birmingham offer, they will still have to attain CCC at A-level to get in.

I only discovered this when I was looking at their Offer Calculator tool today.

They have quietly stopped their Unconditional Offer scheme whereby candidates who made Birmingham their Firm choice would have their offer made Unconditional immediately.

There is a Times article on this subject dated 12 September behind the paywall -- https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/b...fers-t83vt79ns

The change really does seem have been an unheralded retreat from the university's earlier practice, and as the Times article points out, other universities are now likely to follow suit.
I'm glad they have done this but CCC is still extremely low for a Russell Group uni.

I feel my son took his foot off the gas after he got his unconditional offer from Birmingham and got ABB in his exams after being predicted AAA. I don't think a CCC offer would have changed anything though, as he would never have expected to go down that low even if he stopped working hard.
MissNatTheCat
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I think they may have changed it due to some people getting unconditionals and then not doing so well at university. Pretty sure the only reason they’re saying CCC minimum is because they just want guaranteed students. They are businesses after all and more students means more money essentially.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (131)
18.3%
It's just nice to be back! (194)
27.09%
Not great so far... (257)
35.89%
I want to drop out! (134)
18.72%

Watched Threads