Zoqua
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi, I received my GCSE results in August and have now started at the Sixth form of my choice. I was generally quite happy with my performance, achieving 9's in Maths, History, Geography, Physics, Biology, Chemistry, an A in Addmaths FSMQ and a 7 in French (but I've always been bad at Languages so I wasn't too disappointed here).

I was however disappointed with my English results (I got an 8 in English Literature and a 7 in English language), and my disappointment has been growing since. They may sound good alright at first, but are not what I was aiming for (I was predicted a 9 in Literature and an 8 in Language but was hoping to possibly push a 9 in Language as well as at the time I thought the exam went well, and I worked quite hard for English but clearly that wasn't enough), and are also not so good in comparison to my other grades/ overall GCSE profile. I did get into the sixth form I wanted to get into but I'm now more worried about universities, in particular Oxbridge (as I am considering applying to one for Economics or Maths, not sure which one but I've always wanted to go since Year 7), which I have been told do take GCSE's into consideration when you apply.

I'm worried about my English & French grades disadvantaging my application against other candidates with straight 9's which I failed to get (my anxiety about this has been growing rather than decreasing recently and I thought that engaging a lot in my new Sixth form would help/ take my mind off it but it hasn't). What I'm asking is, is it true that my lowest 3 grades (especially the 7's), could disadvantage an Oxbridge application, regardless of how I do at A level (I'm hoping to get 4 A*'s to make up for those subjects)?

I do know by the way that Cambridge & Oxford do have slightly different policies towards GCSEs so if you can tell me from experience how it works for one/both that would be appreciated.
mpaprika
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
it's the time of year when everyone makes posts like this isn't it
bejie
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
it depends on which uni u want to go to. cambridge cares less about gcse compare to oxford. oxford applicants tend to have eight 8-9 grades so i think u made the criteria also having a good personal statement and super extra curricular is very important as well to show that u r a well rounded person . good luck
Meowstic
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
why would english literature and language have anything to do with maths
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bradford
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate Open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Oct '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (65)
23.21%
No (215)
76.79%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise