Am I making a bad decision? *urgent: remarking papers* Watch

LostLioness
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I really don't know if I am making a bad decision and I would love some advice.
I was 8 marks off an A in my Geography A-level. My last paper in which I did the worst and which dragged down my grade is the one I felt most confident about, so at first I was very confident that I should have it remarked. I emailed my teacher a long time ago to ask for her guidance but she essentially said "your choice" and that she doesn't think the marking is incorrect. I am not sure how she came to that conclusion, certainly wasn't from my exam script (those were never requested). If I was to have all 3 papers remarked, I would have to pay around £147 and I feel that I should invest this money into other areas this year. I am retaking 2 subjects (not Geography) this year and taking on a new A-level so hopefully if I come out with good grades, I will still be fine when it comes to getting a TC.

Should I forget about the B and move on? I am just so disheartened and feel so resentful towards my 6th form because they have offered so little support. Am I making a bad decision by choosing to not have the papers remarked?

Thanks.
Last edited by LostLioness; 3 weeks ago
LostLioness
Rep:
?
I AM GROOT 1 Thank you so much for the advice! I think I just needed to give vent to my disappointment more than anything.

//thread
sugarx01
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I dont think your making a bad choice. If your already retaking the others as well as another alevel I think itd be a waste of time, money and effort to invest in getting the geography papers remarked. Especially if it turns out that they were marked correctly then it would have been a waste of money. A B is still a really good grade though!!
I AM GROOT 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by LostLioness)
I AM GROOT 1 Thank you so much for the advice! I think I just needed to give vent to my disappointment more than anything.

//thread
no worries :hugs:
LostLioness
Rep:
?
(Original post by sugarx01)
I dont think your making a bad choice. If your already retaking the others as well as another alevel I think itd be a waste of time, money and effort to invest in getting the geography papers remarked. Especially if it turns out that they were marked correctly then it would have been a waste of money. A B is still a really good grade though!!
Thank you! I am just so annoyed really. I need to suck it up and realise that it is what it is. I think I might just retake Geography as well, or just content myself with a B.
Legally Jasmine
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I really don't know if I am making a bad decision and I would love some advice.
I was 8 marks off an A in my Geography A-level. My last paper in which I did the worst and which dragged down my grade is the one I felt most confident about, so at first I was very confident that I should have it remarked. I emailed my teacher a long time ago to ask for her guidance but she essentially said "your choice" and that she doesn't think the marking is incorrect. I am not sure how she came to that conclusion, certainly wasn't from my exam script (those were never requested). If I was to have all 3 papers remarked, I would have to pay around £147 and I feel that I should invest this money into other areas this year. I am retaking 2 subjects (not Geography) this year and taking on a new A-level so hopefully if I come out with good grades, I will still be fine when it comes to getting a TC.

Should I forget about the B and move on? I am just so disheartened and feel so resentful towards my 6th form because they have offered so little support. Am I making a bad decision by choosing to not have the papers remarked?

Thanks.
In A-levels, is being 8 grades away considered to be being marginally away from an A? For IB, we were advised that if we were more than 2 marks away from the boundary then it is very unlikely that our grade will change.

Basically, how unlikely/ likely is it that your remark may change your grade?

I think that if the teacher was only predicting how your performance was, then what they're saying wouldn't be that reliable. If they instead meant that being 8 marks away means it most likely wasn't a mistake then it's different and I don't think you've made a mistake by choosing not to remark.
Last edited by Legally Jasmine; 3 weeks ago
LostLioness
Rep:
?
(Original post by Legally Jasmine)
In A-levels, is being 8 grades away considered to be being marginally away from an A? For IB, we were advised that if we were more than 2 marks away from the boundary then it is very unlikely that our grade will change.

Basically, how unlikely/ likely is it that your remark may change your grade?

I think that if the teacher was only predicting how your performance was, then what they're saying wouldn't be that reliable. If they instead meant that being 8 marks away means it most likely wasn't a mistake then it's different and I don't think you've made a mistake by choosing not to remark.
I am not the best person to answer your question, not too familiar with remaking. However, generally remarking can change a person's grade (not too sure about 8 marks but there are odd cases where people have gained like 11 marks, I think). It is all about chances and how sleep-deprived the original marker was. I don't know...personally I am just 'shocked' that I did so 'poorly' in Geography. Paper 3 was always a strength of mine and so don't know what happened. I am triggered again. And feeling emo. jk

No idea, honestly. The teacher said she thought “not likely” and kept telling me “it is your choice” and then I asked her what helped her come to that conclusion, she didn't respond. *****. I am sorry, I am just feeling a little emotionally unstable today lol I sent like 100 emails last night to unis about my situation and reading their responses has been....somewhat.....something. :rofl:

I talked to some of the classmates earlier and one who got 100% in the coursework got an A. I got less in the coursework so perhaps I should just be glad I got a B. I think I overestimated my performance coming out of the exam hall. Though another classmate got less than me in her coursework but managed to get an A*. Comes down to hard work and exam performance, I guess.
username4959192
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
pm me x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (131)
17.99%
It's just nice to be back! (197)
27.06%
Not great so far... (263)
36.13%
I want to drop out! (137)
18.82%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed