UCAT score and university selection process Watch

Rajani01
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hello guys, my daughter just sat for UKCAT exam and unfortunately she got score of 2480 and band 3. She has all As in her GCSC n Highers particularly A band1 in Chemistry!! She did various non academic stuff like Gold DOEF, charity and other work experiences related to healthcare. Her personal statement is looking good as per advices I took from my medic friends!!
Now with all these , will there be any chance for my girl to be called in for Scottish universities!! Any advice is greatly appreciated!! Thanks
Last edited by Rajani01; 3 weeks ago
Marni_
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hey, I would look at the uni's she's interested in and see how much emphasis they place on the UCAT. I don't know the Scottish uni's so well but I'm sure some will be stricter than others on what they require. You can always find out previous years cut-offs too, so you know whether she would have made it then.
I'm sure you are, but please be supportive of her. She's probably gutted too and it's a really stressful time for students applying to med school. Best of luck!
学生の父
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I would certainly put Aberdeen down on the application as they take a holistic approach to pre-interview assessment. Your daughter's score is likely to be in the middle third of this year's UCAT candidates, so alongside her broader application profile it is still possible that she may be invited to interview there.

Ask your daughter to do her homework very carefully over the next couple of weeks: she needs to check which med schools place more or less emphasis on the raw UCAT scores, and which balance these scores with other factors.

Take heart, Rajani01. All is not lost.
Mom2
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by 学生の父)
I would certainly put Aberdeen down on the application as they take a holistic approach to pre-interview assessment. Your daughter's score is likely to be in the middle third of this year's UCAT candidates, so alongside her broader application profile it is still possible that she may be invited to interview there.

Ask your daughter to do her homework very carefully over the next couple of weeks: she needs to check which med schools place more or less emphasis on the raw UCAT scores, and which balance these scores with other factors.

Before putting down Aberdeen, I would check their offer ratios in case you are not Scottish. Looking at EU data, which I have done, I found the offer rate to be 4% compared to 22% in the overall applicant pool. They are one of the few schools which publish this type of admission data.
Rajani01
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Thank you for the info!! Sure will advise my girl to follow your instructions!!

Thanks
Rajani

(Original post by 学生の父)

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (131)
17.99%
It's just nice to be back! (197)
27.06%
Not great so far... (263)
36.13%
I want to drop out! (137)
18.82%

Watched Threads