The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

The Official University of Birmingham Applicants' Thread 2020

Scroll to see replies

Original post by University of Birmingham
Hi, good idea. It's good to hear you're staying up to date with what the news is reporting regarding the situation however, I would encourage you to not take anything that's written as confirmation of how September will look. The 'student bubble' is an idea only. Birmingham have not yet confirmed how accommodation will be structured for September so I would encourage you to wait until you hear from the institution directly. You can keep up to date with the response to COVID on our FAQ page: https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/coronavirus/future-students.aspx. I can appreciate it must be frustrating and you probably want to know what your accommodation will be like in September but as the situation is changing we want to make the best decision for the students. Does this answer your question? Is there anything else I can help you with? Best wishes, Mary

Hi, I did not receive any email regarding when the university will start. Do I have the option to do the first term from home and exclusively online, or do I have to go to the halls of residence?
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Hi, good idea. It's good to hear you're staying up to date with what the news is reporting regarding the situation however, I would encourage you to not take anything that's written as confirmation of how September will look. The 'student bubble' is an idea only. Birmingham have not yet confirmed how accommodation will be structured for September so I would encourage you to wait until you hear from the institution directly. You can keep up to date with the response to COVID on our FAQ page: https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/coronavirus/future-students.aspx. I can appreciate it must be frustrating and you probably want to know what your accommodation will be like in September but as the situation is changing we want to make the best decision for the students. Does this answer your question? Is there anything else I can help you with? Best wishes, Mary

Thanks for your reply. I agree that all the ideas thrown up in the news are not certain yet and are only suggestions. However, my only concern is that the deferral deadline is in June (I believe, I may be wrong) but I'm guessing all the information of what the academic year will look like next year won't be provided by this date. So will I have to make my decision by this deadline with not all the information regarding next year?
Many thanks
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks for your reply. I agree that all the ideas thrown up in the news are not certain yet and are only suggestions. However, my only concern is that the deferral deadline is in June (I believe, I may be wrong) but I'm guessing all the information of what the academic year will look like next year won't be provided by this date. So will I have to make my decision by this deadline with not all the information regarding next year?
Many thanks

So, you can find information on whether you'd be eligible for a deferral on our website here: https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/study/terms.aspx. I know that we can only consider deferral applications after 1st July but as far I'm aware there isn't a deadline to work towards. I can't advise you exactly when we will be able to provide the information about how September will look but I can promise you we are working on this and will endeavour to get this across to you as soon as possible. Best wishes, Mary
So, you can find information on whether you'd be eligible for a deferral on our website here: https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/study/terms.aspx. I know that we can only consider deferral applications after 1st July but as far I'm aware there isn't a deadline to work towards. I can't advise you exactly when we will be able to provide the information about how September will look but I can promise you we are working on this and will endeavour to get this across to you as soon as possible. Best wishes, Mary

Any thought's on bus situation? Right now bus's are running on a v low capacity. 15 people instead of 60 so people commuting from town centre, for example, I don't think they'll even be able to get on a bus during peak time e.g for 9am lectures. As I have doubts the more then triple of bus's needed will be implemented, so I feel uncomfortable making an accommodation choice as of yet. I understand you need to be over 10 miles for a permit but is it possible too pay for parking at Birmingham uni or very close too it? to get a almost guaranteed spot.
Hi guys, I am planning to start my PhD cours this fall and I desperatley need a CAS number. Is anyone received CAS or not yet? Is it an automatical process or I sould make an enquiery to someone in the UoB?
Reply 405
Original post by roxinthebox
Hi guys, I am planning to start my PhD cours this fall and I desperatley need a CAS number. Is anyone received CAS or not yet? Is it an automatical process or I sould make an enquiery to someone in the UoB?

In the same boat! About to study an MSc and need a CAS. I sent an email some weeks back and I was told that they should be emailed out 5 weeks before the course start date. I then mentioned to them that as an international student that gives us limited time to acquire a Visa in this Covid-19 climate, serve our self isolation period in the UK and thereafter start our course on time. I was told that they shall try to send them out as soon as possible. Personally, I am quite worried because given the usual waiting period for a visa can be 2-3 weeks, it may take longer in these unprecedented times and I really wouldn't want to start my course late.
For all Birmingham offer holders awaiting your results this Thursday:
I wish you all the very best, and hope that you
receive the results you need
to secure your place at Birmingham.
This has been the very strangest of years.
Who could have predicted when you received
your offers that your academic fate
would be wrenched from your hands in March?
Especially under these circumstances
know that many people are supporting you,
and are holding you in their thoughts.
Did anyone here declare a disability with the uni? Pls reply if you have
Crossing my fingers for everyone.:rave:

TSR will be here to help if anybody needs it, and if things don't go to plan tomorrow please remember that there's NoWrongPath to your future. :smile:

Reply 409
Any International students currently applying for their visas but don't have their accommodation address yet?

I wanted to know if it's appropriate to put the University campus address for my my TB test certificate.
Daughter has been royally shafted by the grading system. Was predicted A*AA so selected Durham as firm and Birmingham as insurance so needed AAB for Birmingham. Would have been happy with either Uni. Got grades that have been downgraded to BBC so now has no Uni to go to. To say she is devastated is a mild understatement 😢😢
(edited 3 years ago)
What course are you applying for: psychology/psychology in education
What universities are you thinking of: uob, aston, warwick, lancaster, manchester
A level / IB / Higher predicted grades:
GCSE grades: 96666555553
Extra curriculars: gym, basketball gaming, helping out on discord, islamic studies in spare time
If anyone is looking for Accomodation in Birmingham please message me. I have a room available it is located in Beech Gardens, Birmingham. It is in a good central location and has 24/7 security. The room is spacious and has a double bed. It is a shared bathroom which is very clean and spacious. There are three flat mates; two girls and one boy and they are all lovely. I have already payed the first deposit and it’s only £85 per week, which is a bargain. If you require any more information please feel free to message me.
Reply 413
Hiya,
I’m looking for someone to take over my tenancy at Battery Park.
It’s a modern student accommodation in selly oak, just a 15 min walk from the main UoB campus.
It’s self catered and an en-suite room.
Floor 9
£163 a week.
If anyone is interested contact me ASAP
Thanks X
Original post by Mehmood567
If anyone is looking for Accomodation in Birmingham please message me. I have a room available it is located in Beech Gardens, Birmingham. It is in a good central location and has 24/7 security. The room is spacious and has a double bed. It is a shared bathroom which is very clean and spacious. There are three flat mates; two girls and one boy and they are all lovely. I have already payed the first deposit and it’s only £85 per week, which is a bargain. If you require any more information please feel free to message me.

Hi mate I’m interested, let me know if it’s still available
Heyy all, quick question, just wondering if I'll get accepted with 4 A*, predicted A* in my EPQ and Predicted pass on Arts Award (Gold). I know Birmingham University typically caters to the "POOR" man; however, I think that my hard work should not be discriminated against on the basis that my ancestor happen to work hard in life. Is it my fault I went to a private boarding school, I think not. Anyways, let me know what you think guys.
Original post by articunoboi
Heyy all, quick question, just wondering if I'll get accepted with 4 A*, predicted A* in my EPQ and Predicted pass on Arts Award (Gold). I know Birmingham University typically caters to the "POOR" man; however, I think that my hard work should not be discriminated against on the basis that my ancestor happen to work hard in life. Is it my fault I went to a private boarding school, I think not. Anyways, let me know what you think guys.

Yes

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending