BonBon2
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
in terms of the city which looks nicer and in your opinion is more fun to live in for 3 years.
Also Which course is better in terms of teaching and course content leeds or york for physics in your opinion,( i would like to see students perspective not league table or reading the course content on the uni website).
Any one answer or both would help a lot thank you all.
Bluebells602003
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I don’t know much about Leeds but York is a lovely city and the uni is great! As for physics I can’t answer that.
CatusStarbright
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by BonBon2)
in terms of the city which looks nicer and in your opinion is more fun to live in for 3 years.
Also Which course is better in terms of teaching and course content leeds or york for physics in your opinion,( i would like to see students perspective not league table or reading the course content on the uni website).
In terms of the city, Leeds has a very good nightlife and is really quite student-orientated, with a lively urban feel. The cost of housing is also quite a bit lower in Leeds than in York. York is however more 'quaint' and less busy as a city.

Aph might be able to give you some more information about York as a city and possibly a bit about physics teaching.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The physics department at York is one I would tell everyone to avoid. York is a really pretty city and some of the academics in the physics department are lovely and wonderful people but overall there is a sense that as a student you’re a nuisance to them in my experience. Many of the academics dislike having to teach and would rather just do their research and be left alone.
An example of this that come to mind was in my first week at the university I approached an academic for help but called them by their first name, this person then yelled at me for what felt like a few minutes about how I should be respectful of their status and call them Dr and how not doing so was an attack on them and then refused to answer my question as a result (most people from York physics will know who that is too).

As I said, there are some good people who genuinely care at York but unfortunately the vast majority just don’t and as such the atmosphere of the department is just always very tense.
BonBon2
Rep:
?
(Original post by Aph)
The physics department at York is one I would tell everyone to avoid. York is a really pretty city and some of the academics in the physics department are lovely and wonderful people but overall there is a sense that as a student you’re a nuisance to them in my experience. Many of the academics dislike having to teach and would rather just do their research and be left alone.
An example of this that come to mind was in my first week at the university I approached an academic for help but called them by their first name, this person then yelled at me for what felt like a few minutes about how I should be respectful of their status and call them Dr and how not doing so was an attack on them and then refused to answer my question as a result (most people from York physics will know who that is too).

As I said, there are some good people who genuinely care at York but unfortunately the vast majority just don’t and as such the atmosphere of the department is just always very tense.
I see in terms of course content and varitey which would you prefer leeds or york?
thank you for your opinion also this is also really useful.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I see in terms of course content and varitey which would you prefer leeds or york?
thank you for your opinion also this is also really useful.
I don’t think I can answer that as it’s a very personal thing. There seems to be a bit more optionality in York but that’s because Leeds front loads compulsory modules whilst York keeps them going every year.
jayaitch
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Go York, I know people at UoL that are just terrible. They have probably riddled the place with herps
MajorFader
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Aph)

Damn, any tea on their maths department? 😭
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by MajorFader)
Damn, any tea on their maths department? 😭
It’s better, there are some dry lecturers and some who are too cynical about students but on the whole the top of the maths department actually cares and as long as you accept some people will bore you to no end and some will do stupid things because they think it makes sense you’ll be okay. I actually like the maths department, it’s antisocial but has more camaraderie if that makes any sense?
BonBon2
Rep:
?
(Original post by Aph)
I don’t think I can answer that as it’s a very personal thing. There seems to be a bit more optionality in York but that’s because Leeds front loads compulsory modules whilst York keeps them going every year.
I see from what i saw at leeds they seem to have more optional modules and a wider variety? Like medical physics for example ? in terms of variety you would say york then? this is my last question cheers m8.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (36)
25.71%
No (104)
74.29%

Watched Threads