Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey everyone. This is a thread for all you prospective applicants for aerospace and/or aeronautical engineering courses (or similar) to chat, find people going to the same uni, ask questions etc during the applications process.

And if you want specific university threads, find them on this link>>

Here's a template to get things going

Universities applied to:
Predicted/achieved A-level/IB/Higher grades:
AS grades (if taken):
GCSE grades:
Any extra-curricular stuff:
username4985892
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Applied to
Cambridge,Bristol, Liverpool, Loughborough, Southampton
UCAS sent on 02/10/19
Recieved an offer from Liverpool the next day
Bristol application is currently on hold
Predicted grades are A*AA
Extracurricular: Boeing and Bae Systems work experience
Tofic
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Universities applying to: TU Delft (Netherlands), Bristol, Loughborough, Nottingham, Leeds, Bath
Haven't applied yet
Predicted/achieved A-level/IB/Higher grades: Predicted grades AAA in Maths, Physics and Chemistry respectively, achieved an A* in Dutch
GCSE grades: between A*'s and B's
Ts55
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Applying to: Nottingham, Sheffield, Loughborough/Swansea, Leicester and Liverpool
Predicted Grades: AAB in Maths, Economics and Physics
GCSE Grades: 4 8s, 2 A*, 1A, 1B and 1 5
nathan.boachie
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Universities applied to: Cambridge, Imperial, Bath, Bristol, Leeds
Achieved grades: A* (Maths taken early)
Predicted grades A*A*A*
GCSE grades: 6 9s, 4 8s, 1 A
Extra Curricular: Siemens work experience, Physics and Mathematics Christmas Lectures
username4985892
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by nathan.boachie)
Universities applied to: Cambridge, Imperial, Bath, Bristol, Leeds
Achieved grades: A* (Maths taken early)
Predicted grades A*A*A*
GCSE grades: 6 9s, 4 8s, 1 A
Extra Curricular: Siemens work experience, Physics and Mathematics Christmas Lectures
I applied to Cambridge and Bristol too
0le
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I've done a degree in Aeronautical engineering. In my opinion, there are more jobs in structures (composites and smart materials etc) than fluid dynamics (aerodynamics, fluids in pipes etc), but both jobs have a heavy emphasis on computational requirements. So if you want a job in aerospace, pick modules with CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics) or Finite Element Analysis (FEA) which is typically used in structures. I've also seen jobs which require using CAD (computer aided design) software.

There is some merit doing experimental based work and most degrees I imagine will have some workshop/laboratory content but not much, at least in comparison to computations. This is also because of health and safety as well. There are very few jobs in experimental based work - at least in fluid dynamics. Not sure about structures. If you want this, have a look at F1 jobs, I've seen a few which sometimes ask for wind tunnel experience. Note that you will probably only gain significant experimental based knowledge by doing a PhD.

Make sure you think about your career NOW. Don't wait til 4th year. Apply for one industrial year or summer industrial placements in your first, second or third years at university. Do as many as you can. Do not wait. Also join societies, sports clubs, whatever. Just think about what you can do to put stuff on your CV. Write a CV now - it will probably be quite empty, and plan in the next 4 years what modules/extra curricular acitivites/industrial experience you can gain in those 4 years so that you can put it on your CV.

Be wary that whilst engineering is fun and rewarding as a learning experience, the job market is shrinking in the UK and demand for engineering jobs significantly outstrips supply. In other words, you will have a lot of competition for each job. On the other hand, engineers can apply for a number of roles, both engineering, consultancy, technology and finance, so it isn't so bad.

PS: Work hard on the mathematics units. They may not seem important when you do them, but they are. For example, Matlab uses matrix linear algebra and CFD will use Taylor expansions (probably volume fluid methods).
Last edited by 0le; 1 year ago
Helloworld_95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 0le)
I've done a degree in Aeronautical engineering. In my opinion, there are more jobs in structures (composites and smart materials etc) than fluid dynamics (aerodynamics, fluids in pipes etc), but both jobs have a heavy emphasis on computational requirements. So if you want a job in aerospace, pick modules with CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics) or Finite Element Analysis (FEA) which is typically used in structures. I've also seen jobs which require using CAD (computer aided design) software.

There is some merit doing experimental based work and most degrees I imagine will have some workshop/laboratory content but not much, at least in comparison to computations. This is also because of health and safety as well. There are very few jobs in experimental based work - at least in fluid dynamics. Not sure about structures. If you want this, have a look at F1 jobs, I've seen a few which sometimes ask for wind tunnel experience. Note that you will probably only gain significant experimental based knowledge by doing a PhD.

Make sure you think about your career NOW. Don't wait til 4th year. Apply for one industrial year or summer industrial placements in your first, second or third years at university. Do as many as you can. Do not wait. Also join societies, sports clubs, whatever. Just think about what you can do to put stuff on your CV. Write a CV now - it will probably be quite empty, and plan in the next 4 years what modules/extra curricular acitivites/industrial experience you can gain in those 4 years so that you can put it on your CV.

Be wary that whilst engineering is fun and rewarding as a learning experience, the job market is shrinking in the UK and demand for engineering jobs significantly outstrips supply. In other words, you will have a lot of competition for each job. On the other hand, engineers can apply for a number of roles, both engineering, consultancy, technology and finance, so it isn't so bad.

PS: Work hard on the mathematics units. They may not seem important when you do them, but they are. For example, Matlab uses matrix linear algebra and CFD will use Taylor expansions (probably volume fluid methods).
I'd agree that having computational experience is very useful, but be aware that just using ANSYS probably isn't going to be enough, you really need to have got to the programming aspects of it, whether that's substantial UDFs in ANSYS or doing more advanced stuff in OpenFOAM. You also need to know how to verify and validate your simulations. If I'm recruiting someone, just having a basic idea of how to use ANSYS Fluent or Mechanical, or basic stuff in OpenFOAM isn't going to be enough, those things take a pretty short time to get accustomed to and I'd be much more interested in hiring a programmer or mathematician to learn how to do it.

It's also extremely valuable to have experimental experience, or at least "real engineering" experience nowadays. A lot of graduates just don't have a clue about how to make a concept realistic. It's great if your design performs better than the current one, but if it's impossible to physically put it together then it becomes useless. If you have the combination of experimental and even basic computational experience then you'll be fairly desirable. This should be doable in either your thesis or your group project, but it won't be possible at all universities.

I don't think too much emphasis should be put on placements, forget summer placements, either do a year in industry or get yourself knee deep in societies which do engineering projects and/or the engineering bodies like RAeS. Applying for jobs is stressful, you want to do it as little as possible, don't waste it on summer placements which aren't going to benefit you too much and are unnecessarily competitive, but year placements will probably get you a job there afterwards.

That said, overall it's not that difficult to get a job in engineering, let alone in another degree-level position, but sometimes this will mean that you can't be picky. The large majority of my MEng cohort are at major companies, contractors which are very close to those major companies, small but influential companies, or doing a PhD, but there are a small number who are at no-name companies or outside of engineering, and that's ok.
0le
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Helloworld_95)
I'd agree that having computational experience is very useful, but be aware that just using ANSYS probably isn't going to be enough, you really need to have got to the programming aspects of it, whether that's substantial UDFs in ANSYS or doing more advanced stuff in OpenFOAM. You also need to know how to verify and validate your simulations. If I'm recruiting someone, just having a basic idea of how to use ANSYS Fluent or Mechanical, or basic stuff in OpenFOAM isn't going to be enough, those things take a pretty short time to get accustomed to and I'd be much more interested in hiring a programmer or mathematician to learn how to do it.
I agree with what you said. Programming is vital. At least during my time in university, I feel not enough emphasis was placed on this part. However, I suspect this has changed since I went through uni. I would also say please hire engineers who may know the fundamental concepts better than the mathematicians, although I am biased

It's also extremely valuable to have experimental experience, or at least "real engineering" experience nowadays. A lot of graduates just don't have a clue about how to make a concept realistic. It's great if your design performs better than the current one, but if it's impossible to physically put it together then it becomes useless. If you have the combination of experimental and even basic computational experience then you'll be fairly desirable. This should be doable in either your thesis or your group project, but it won't be possible at all universities.
Sadly this isn't my personal experience. I've done a PhD in engineering and it was all significant experiments requiring design, construction, risk assessments etc. Not a single person cares. The majority of the jobs I have looked at want software experience which sadly I do not have. Although I do have programming experience which has allowed me to apply for a few data science roles at least (some are picky and want mathematicians and statisticians only). Perhaps I have a narrow view of where I am looking at which has changed my perspective.

I don't think too much emphasis should be put on placements, forget summer placements, either do a year in industry or get yourself knee deep in societies which do engineering projects and/or the engineering bodies like RAeS. Applying for jobs is stressful, you want to do it as little as possible, don't waste it on summer placements which aren't going to benefit you too much and are unnecessarily competitive, but year placements will probably get you a job there afterwards.
Fair enough. My thinking was that competition is even higher now, and therefore any placements and internships help make candidates stand out, provided they properly explain what they learnt from those programmes. I agree, summer placements probably aren't so useful because there is only a limited amount you can learn in 6-12 weeks. I wouldn't say they are useless though, particularly if you plan to work for that company.

As a sidenote, it is funny you mention RAeS. I wanted to apply for a grad scheme which requires IMechE. I emailed and they told me no, we can't progress anyone without an IMechE. I suspect this is nonsense because a) even with accreditation, you can't guarantee each student will study the exact same content because of optional units and b) RAeS counts in part towards chartership which is why I think they wanted accreditation in the first place? I have to say I was a little annoyed and maybe there is a valid reason, but yeah...

That said, overall it's not that difficult to get a job in engineering, let alone in another degree-level position, but sometimes this will mean that you can't be picky. The large majority of my MEng cohort are at major companies, contractors which are very close to those major companies, small but influential companies, or doing a PhD, but there are a small number who are at no-name companies or outside of engineering, and that's ok.
With respect, I disagree, but I guess this is a matter of opinion. Happy to disagree
ixelexi
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi
I'm applying (hopefully on Monday I will have applied, I'm still waiting for my reference :/) to do Aerospace Engineering (w/ Industrial Experience) at Manchester, Liverpool, Sheffield, Nottingham and Glasgow (Glasgow is aeronautical without the industrial experience)
I'm predicted A*A*A in Maths, Chemistry and Physics (in that order) and I didn't do AS.
GCSE I got A*A*9988777
Extra-curricular: I did headstart at Salford and work experience at Cummins Turbo Technologies. I've also done a lot of environmental stuff at school, did NCS etc. Been to physics lectures and uni taster days as well. I also threw a few books in my PS because why not. I did read them...

I'll update when things start to get a bit exciting (that's when I get my offers...if I get any offers...)
Helloworld_95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 0le)
I agree with what you said. Programming is vital. At least during my time in university, I feel not enough emphasis was placed on this part. However, I suspect this has changed since I went through uni. I would also say please hire engineers who may know the fundamental concepts better than the mathematicians, although I am biased

Sadly this isn't my personal experience. I've done a PhD in engineering and it was all significant experiments requiring design, construction, risk assessments etc. Not a single person cares. The majority of the jobs I have looked at want software experience which sadly I do not have. Although I do have programming experience which has allowed me to apply for a few data science roles at least (some are picky and want mathematicians and statisticians only). Perhaps I have a narrow view of where I am looking at which has changed my perspective.

Fair enough. My thinking was that competition is even higher now, and therefore any placements and internships help make candidates stand out, provided they properly explain what they learnt from those programmes. I agree, summer placements probably aren't so useful because there is only a limited amount you can learn in 6-12 weeks. I wouldn't say they are useless though, particularly if you plan to work for that company.

As a sidenote, it is funny you mention RAeS. I wanted to apply for a grad scheme which requires IMechE. I emailed and they told me no, we can't progress anyone without an IMechE. I suspect this is nonsense because a) even with accreditation, you can't guarantee each student will study the exact same content because of optional units and b) RAeS counts in part towards chartership which is why I think they wanted accreditation in the first place? I have to say I was a little annoyed and maybe there is a valid reason, but yeah...

With respect, I disagree, but I guess this is a matter of opinion. Happy to disagree
I think it's important to decide when the fundamental concepts are and aren't easy to learn. IMO a lot of fundamental concepts in engineering will be relatively easy to learn if it's your full time job to, whereas something like programming isn't everyone's cup of tea so it's generally better to hire a programmer and teach him to engineer than the other way around, and this is quite common to see across the industry.

I meant experimental experience is valuable in combination with computational experience, unfortunately a long week means I didn't actually type that in haha. Yes, in general experimental experience alone won't be that useful.

Useless was perhaps too strong a word, more I think that there are much better options for the energy you're putting in than doing a summer placement.

Some companies will want the accreditation for chartership and that is a necessary part of it. Some companies will only have an accredited graduate scheme for chartership for a single engineering body, hence they will try to recruit people with that accreditation, and I could also see some very small companies, but still ones where chartership is relevant, being uninterested in learning how to do an application for chartership for another body. There can definitely be big differences in content between degrees with accreditation, that said it's always odd when someone says their degree has RAeS accreditation but not IMechE because the RAeS accreditation covers basically all of the IMechE accreditation so it makes no sense for a university to get accredited by RAeS but not IMechE.

I'll agree with your disagreement because I can definitely see that it will be university dependent as there is some targeting within the industry, whether people like it or not, even if it's not as restrictive as other fields.
nathan.boachie
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Tanya_171)
I applied to Cambridge and Bristol too
I assume you'll be taking the engaa then. How have you prepared for the exam?
0le
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Helloworld_95)
There can definitely be big differences in content between degrees with accreditation, that said it's always odd when someone says their degree has RAeS accreditation but not IMechE because the RAeS accreditation covers basically all of the IMechE accreditation so it makes no sense for a university to get accredited by RAeS but not IMechE.
That is interesting to know thanks. I went to the University of Bristol for my undergraduate.

I double checked the accreditation here:
https://www.engc.org.uk/acad

As best as I can tell, it is still listed as RAeS accreditation only. Thanks Bristol :rolleyes:
http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/under...eng-aerospace/
ixelexi
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by lexisky02)
Hi
I'm applying (hopefully on Monday I will have applied, I'm still waiting for my reference :/) to do Aerospace Engineering (w/ Industrial Experience) at Manchester, Liverpool, Sheffield, Nottingham and Glasgow (Glasgow is aeronautical without the industrial experience)
I'm predicted A*A*A in Maths, Chemistry and Physics (in that order) and I didn't do AS.
GCSE I got A*A*9988777
Extra-curricular: I did headstart at Salford and work experience at Cummins Turbo Technologies. I've also done a lot of environmental stuff at school, did NCS etc. Been to physics lectures and uni taster days as well. I also threw a few books in my PS because why not. I did read them...

I'll update when things start to get a bit exciting (that's when I get my offers...if I get any offers...)
23.10.19 - I applied
24.10.19 - Got an offer from Liverpool ABB for BEng
25.10.19 - Got an offer from Glasgow AAB for BEng
28.10.19 - Got an offer from Nottingham ABB for BEng - Been invited to an applicant taster day as well
06.11.19 - Got an offer from Sheffield AAB for BEng
I'm just waiting for Manchester now :/ It is my first choice as well so hopefully I get an offer - It's just my luck that they're the last one to make a decision when they're the one I'm waiting for most.
Last edited by ixelexi; 1 year ago
samsz3
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Has anyone got an offer from Bristol? I got an email saying my application had been put on hold. Predicted 3 A* in maths, further maths and physics, did DT in Y12. Also had lots of extracurriculars such as engineering summer schools, as well as stuff I have built.
Pixel_Ninja48
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by samsz3)
Has anyone got an offer from Bristol? I got an email saying my application had been put on hold. Predicted 3 A* in maths, further maths and physics, did DT in Y12. Also had lots of extracurriculars such as engineering summer schools, as well as stuff I have built.
Hey mate, I was put on hold for Bristol late last week. I have received an offer from them today.
Shafi_haque
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Pixel_Ninja48)
Hey mate, I was put on hold for Bristol late last week. I have received an offer from them today.
What predicted grades? Ive been on hold for 3 weeks now with 3 A*s :confused:
Pixel_Ninja48
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Shafi_haque)
What predicted grades? Ive been on hold for 3 weeks now with 3 A*s :confused:
I'm predicted A* further maths, A* maths, A* physics and A in chem. They have however only give me a 3 grade offer, so I reckon you should receive an offer relatively soon.
mojoxyz
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm planning on applying to both aeronautical and aerospace but I don't know how to structure my personal statement in a way that it works for both.. any tips?
nabsers
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by mojoxyz)
I'm planning on applying to both aeronautical and aerospace but I don't know how to structure my personal statement in a way that it works for both.. any tips?
In today’s day and age they’re practically interchangeable terms so dont worry about having to only use one or the other
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (20)
13.42%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (41)
27.52%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (61)
40.94%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (23)
15.44%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (4)
2.68%

Watched Threads