The Student Room Group

2020 Mechanical Engineering Applicants Thread

'ello. This is the thread for mechanical engineering applicants aiming at 2020 entry - feel free to chat, ask questions, get to know each other during the applications process. For specific university threads, find them on this link>>

Use this template if you like.
Universities applied to:
Predicted/achieved A-level/IB/Higher grades:
AS grades (if taken):
GCSE grades:
Any extra-curricular stuff:
Reply 1
Bumped for visibility
Anybody got an interview?
Reply 3
Bumping again :indiff:
Reply 4
Theres an interview?
Reply 5
Original post by Kenbone
Theres an interview?

Maybe they didn't realise this was just a general mech eng thread and not uni-specific
Original post by Sinnoh
'ello. This is the thread for mechanical engineering applicants aiming at 2020 entry - feel free to chat, ask questions, get to know each other during the applications process. For specific university threads, find them on this link>>

Use this template if you like.
Universities applied to:
Predicted/achieved A-level/IB/Higher grades:
AS grades (if taken):
GCSE grades:
Any extra-curricular stuff:

What’s the best laptop for mechanical engineering.
Reply 7
Original post by Bossladytee

I don't do engineering so I can't say. You'll probably be using computers mainly for coding and maybe CAD software (at a guess) so anything that can run those is fine. People would disagree on what the best laptop for a subject is anyway.
Reply 8
Original post by Bossladytee

This is what was recommended to me.

Windows 10
Intel I7 3.6 GHz CPU
16 GB RAM
512GB SSD drive
A laptop with I5 processors with 8GB of RAM and 256GB SSD drives will work almost as well; however, 16GB of RAM is highly recommended.

Look for laptops with these kind of specs.
Hi there, University of Sheffield Alumni here.

We hope Results Day has gone well for everyone.

If you're entering Clearing, the University of Sheffield has places for Mechanical Engineering, which can be found on our website here: https://clearing.shef.ac.uk/

I recommend ringing the Clearing helpline to discuss your grades and to find out if you're eligible for a place. Our Confirmation, Adjustment and Clearing Helpline is 0114 212 9900 if you're in the UK, and +44 114 212 9900 if you're outside the UK. The lines are open:
Thursday 13 August: 8.00am–5pm
Friday 14 August: 8.00am–5pm
Saturday 15 August: 10am–2pm
Monday 17–Friday 21 August: 9am–5pm

I hope this helps and best of luck everyone!

- Tom

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending