The Student Room Group

I need some help regarding uni life.

I 've moved into a 6 person flat on saturday with my boyfriend but he wasnt here on the first day. On the Saturday, i met all the flatmates and we all went out drinking together and it was so fun and we all got to know eachother and everyone was so nice. Then my boyfriend came the day after and now everything has went downhill. Our flatmates practically ignore him, It's been 4 days and any of them have hardly talked to him, and its weird. But, because they're kind of isolating him, i've stopped going out with them cause he's feeling lonely and quite down and not wanting to go out (he has no money yet so he can't) so now I havent spoke to any of them for 2 days and now every interaction is just awkward and forced. For the past few days, my boyfriend has been really moody and also keeping some secrets from me (not big ones, but still) and then today he's went home for the night cause he doesn't want to be with me tonight for no reason. And now i'm in a situation where i am just so lonely and want to go home so badly. But it's only freshers week and i don't want to look like a weak little girl because i backed out so early, Anyone have any advice on either the boyfriend situation, going home situation, loneliness or flatmates?Thanks.
Original post by shybubble
I 've moved into a 6 person flat on saturday with my boyfriend but he wasnt here on the first day. On the Saturday, i met all the flatmates and we all went out drinking together and it was so fun and we all got to know eachother and everyone was so nice. Then my boyfriend came the day after and now everything has went downhill. Our flatmates practically ignore him, It's been 4 days and any of them have hardly talked to him, and its weird. But, because they're kind of isolating him, i've stopped going out with them cause he's feeling lonely and quite down and not wanting to go out (he has no money yet so he can't) so now I havent spoke to any of them for 2 days and now every interaction is just awkward and forced. For the past few days, my boyfriend has been really moody and also keeping some secrets from me (not big ones, but still) and then today he's went home for the night cause he doesn't want to be with me tonight for no reason. And now i'm in a situation where i am just so lonely and want to go home so badly. But it's only freshers week and i don't want to look like a weak little girl because i backed out so early, Anyone have any advice on either the boyfriend situation, going home situation, loneliness or flatmates?Thanks.

Is your bf sharing your room or he is also a student in the same flat?

Sounds like in some way the bf and you as a couple has changed the dynamic of the flat.

I think you can either retreat and panic or deal with it/ ignore it plus get on with freshers. If you have confidence ask one or all what happened and why they seem to be treating you differently? You arent 6 individuals but 4 individuals and a couple. Not everyone likes that, but it depends how you are as a couple.
Maybe if you and bf acted with confidence, then they would move past it. If the 4 individuals cant deal with it then maybe you should do a swap and move out. I wouldnt go home though as you are there for uni.

In the meantime make course friends and join some clubs and societies. Housemates should be civil and friendly even if not friends. You can find friends elsewhere. Hang in there, its only been going wrong for a few days.

Quick Reply

Latest