Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi I have some questions if anyone could help?
I'm studying independently (priv candidate). How do I apply for accomodation and the student loan and maintainance loan?

How do people find out who is in their flat without knowing/meeting them? How many people should I go in a flat with and how will I know their ages? What if I don't like them?

Are modules taken individually or all as one in an exam at the end of the year, if I fail first year what happens? What is a law lecture and seminar like (any law students)?

What is some advice you would give to yourself about uni that you wish you knew before?
it'snotthecounty
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi I have some questions if anyone could help?
I'm studying independently (priv candidate). How do I apply for accomodation and the student loan and maintainance loan?

How do people find out who is in their flat without knowing/meeting them? How many people should I go in a flat with and how will I know their ages? What if I don't like them?

Are modules taken individually or all as one in an exam at the end of the year, if I fail first year what happens? What is a law lecture and seminar like (any law students)?

What is some advice you would give to yourself about uni that you wish you knew before?
1. Maintenance loan is applied for through the Student Finance England website (Google it, it'll appear immediately). Accommodation is to be applied for as a part of your enrolment procedure. Expect an email from your chosen university that'll inform of you when and how to apply.

2. There could be a Facebook group and/or Facebook group chat for your chosen accommodation. Within it/them you can post specifically where you'll be living within the accommodation (flat, room number) and possibly then find those who'll be living with you. Each accommodation option will last the maximum of how many other people you'll live with; cheaper accommodation usually means more, the more expensive usually means either less or not having to share a bathroom. It's up to you to decide. Their ages will be within your age range. If you find you do not like them then there is the option to search for other accommodation, however it should be said that it's not uncommon to not quite get along with at least one of them. As long as they're not distracting and you're comfortable that will not be an issue.

3. You'll study all modules at once throughout the semester and each will have their own exam. If you fail there will be an opportunity to resit. I do not study law but generally speaking, lectures are for the entire course where the lecturer will read from a power point slide, seminars are smaller, more intimate groups with a set class you'll be placed into where you'll discuss the topic of the power point presentation in more detail (plus the reading).

Advice that I would give the former first year me is that to remind myself that all of us are in the exact same situation; none of us know one another, we're all possible confused, nervous and homesick - say "yes" to people, to activities. Pre-plan meals; this'll mean you're able to budget better and prep them, so save time on cooking. Sign up to the medical department upon arrival; you'll thank yourself when you inevitably need an appointment with a gp. Don't attempt to note the entire lecture, it isn't necessary; most of the information is on the powerpoint which is available to you, so open up that powerpoint and write in further, more detailed notes that aren't in the powerpoint. Read the powerpoint the night before a lecture; this'll mean you've a pre-understanding of the lecture topic and have the space to further think on the content. Remember to save work progress and also do it on Google Docs, email it to yourself and save it onto a USB stick; you'll be thankful if your computer crashes or shuts off mid-way through an essay. Do extra reading! Your grade will count on it. Extra reading is vital to hitting a top grade in an assignment or exam. Last but not least? Speak out and up. Don't be afraid to ask for help, to ask for a comforting hand if you're feeling homesick, anxious or lonely. It's all very common and you're not alone. University is one big adjustment but keep these in mind, maintain your drive and keep a positive outlook and you'll enjoy it.

Best of luck.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (56)
17.39%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (91)
28.26%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (120)
37.27%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (44)
13.66%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.42%

Watched Threads