Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I sat my A levels in 2019 exam season and achieved:
• A* - mathematics
• A* - geography
• A - further mathematics
Any suggestions for universities in LONDON for a maths degree? Applying for 2020 entry and am considering KCL and QMUL but don't know what other good universities would consider me as I didn't get an A* in further.
MathsMeme
Rep:
?
bump
5hyl33n
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Look at universities grade requirements. However remember some universities don’t differentiate between Maths and Further Maths.
swanseajack1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Look outside London. In London you are restricted to UCL, Kings and Imperial for top universities. I wouldnt put Queen Mary in the same level. Royal Holloway might be an option but that is on the outskirts. With those grades you would have very good options outside London
学生の父
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by MathsMeme)
• A* - mathematics
• A* - geography
Any suggestions for universities in LONDON for a maths degree? Applying for 2020 entry and am considering KCL and QMUL but don't know what other good universities would consider me as I didn't get an A* in further.
KCL is probably the highest profile London university for which you would be competitive with your A-level results. You will have probably have seen already that you would unlikely to be competitive at Imperial or UCL.

Do look outside London, though. You are likely to get offers from a good number of Russell Group universities with A*A in Maths and FM. Also, have you thought about a Geography degree? You could very well be able to get an offer from UCL for Geography, or even the BASc Arts and Sciences degree (with or without a year abroad). That would enable you to continue with mathematics alongside geography in an integrated programme.
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
A good place to see where you can apply with specific grades is - https://www.whatuni.com/

As above, pick at least one Uni outside London. It may be the only offer you get.
Bristol : http://www.bristol.ac.uk/maths/undergraduate/
Southampton : https://www.southampton.ac.uk/maths/...e/courses.page
Anastasiadis
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by swanseajack1)
Look outside London. In London you are restricted to UCL, Kings and Imperial for top universities. I wouldnt put Queen Mary in the same level. Royal Holloway might be an option but that is on the outskirts. With those grades you would have very good options outside London
There’s also LSE...
学生の父
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anastasiadis)
There’s also LSE...
Yes, there is. They offer joint degrees in Maths and/with Economics. A*AA with A* Maths, A FM and A in a 3rd subject.
MathsMeme
Rep:
?
Hi, thanks for all the responses so far!
I agree that I would definitely have a wider range of options outside of London however moving away from home isn't an option for me. I would much rather commute from home and whilst I understand that limits my options massively, it's for my health. I was originally going to be starting at a uni outside of London this September but had to take a spontaneous gap year and it made me realise I would prefer to stick to London.
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Greenwich, Kingston, Middlesex, Westminster.
Anastasiadis
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
• A* - mathematics
• A* - geography
I would apply to lse with those grades, they’re very good
MMFM411
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Have you thought about taking a STEP exam? Universities (such as UCL) reduce their maths offer of A*A*A (A* in Maths and Further Maths) to A*AA + 2 in STEP
MathsMeme
Rep:
?
(Original post by MMFM411)
Have you thought about taking a STEP exam? Universities (such as UCL) reduce their maths offer of A*A*A (A* in Maths and Further Maths) to A*AA + 2 in STEP
I did begin to consider it. However, it seems a bit risky for me to go for an offer requiring STEP if I don't manage to get the grade (e.g. I firmed it then missed the offer and end up taking a second gap year which is something I don't want to do). Generally, I just don't think I'd be a suitable candidate for the STEP :')
swanseajack1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I did begin to consider it. However, it seems a bit risky for me to go for an offer requiring STEP if I don't manage to get the grade (e.g. I firmed it then missed the offer and end up taking a second gap year which is something I don't want to do). Generally, I just don't think I'd be a suitable candidate for the STEP :')
Kings does seem your best option and Isuspect you will likely get an offer there. Anything else will just be back up.
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
but you can have an insurance. but fair enough not wanting to do step.
MathsMeme
Rep:
?
Thank you everyone who commented, I appreciate it all a lot and will take on board all the advice
ajj2000
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Wouldn’t you just go to your insurance in that case? As you would be living at home you are not at a disadvantage.
MathsMeme
Rep:
?
(Original post by ajj2000)
Wouldn’t you just go to your insurance in that case? As you would be living at home you are not at a disadvantage.
Yeah it seems like I would and true. I'll consider it depending on which uni I decide is best for me.
nutz99
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Have you thought about looking for a course that offers a year in industry. The likelihood is that it will be in the banking sector and in London which would make life easier for you. If you don't get offered a job out of it you will still have the work experience to put on your CV.

Both Greenwich and Queen Mary offer placement years.
MathsMeme
Rep:
?
(Original post by nutz99)
Have you thought about looking for a course that offers a year in industry. The likelihood is that it will be in the banking sector and in London which would make life easier for you. If you don't get offered a job out of it you will still have the work experience to put on your CV.

Both Greenwich and Queen Mary offer placement years.
I hadn't really considered it as I'd prefer to do my three years at university in 'one chunk' however it's something I would look into further as I know placement years can be valuable in the future.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (96)
68.57%
No I haven't decided yet (27)
19.29%
Yes but I might change my mind (17)
12.14%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed