Is it worth it for me to apply to Cambridge or Oxford?

Watch
Tommy77
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, thanks for looking, I’m predicted A*AA in Psychology, Computer Science & Sociology, I want to go on to study Law at university, I just checked the entry requirements for Cambridge (A*AA) & Oxford (AAA) and just wanted to know if realistically it’s worth applying to, as in will I get an offer as I meet the requirements or is this the ‘bare minimum’ and people applying have predicted grades that usually exceed it?

Thanks
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Tommy77)
Hi, thanks for looking, I’m predicted A*AA in Psychology, Computer Science & Sociology, I want to go on to study Law at university, I just checked the entry requirements for Cambridge (A*AA) & Oxford (AAA) and just wanted to know if realistically it’s worth applying to, as in will I get an offer as I meet the requirements or is this the ‘bare minimum’ and people applying have predicted grades that usually exceed it?

Thanks
Hi Tommy77, what were your GCSE grades? The average applicant to Oxford law has approximately 5.2 A*s/9's average, but offer holders have more like 8 or 9. Cambridge will not set so much store on your GCSE grades. However the grades are just the beginning. You will need to ace the LNAT to get an interview. Plus the extra reading etc, and do well at interview. If you are given an offer, you don't need to exceed it, just meet it. But if you have the drive and the grades, why not apply?
NameUnknown
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Oxford Mum)
Hi Tommy77, what were your GCSE grades? The average applicant to Oxford law has approximately 5.2 A*s/9's average, but offer holders have more like 8 or 9. Cambridge will not set so much store on your GCSE grades. However the grades are just the beginning. You will need to ace the LNAT to get an interview. Plus the extra reading etc, and do well at interview. If you are given an offer, you don't need to exceed it, just meet it. But if you have the drive and the grades, why not apply?
I graduated from Cambridge [in: year edited] (first class, Law) and did not sit the LNAT before my application or at all. Nor did I get 8 or 9 As in my GCSEs. It is a prerequisite to have done the LNAT for Law at Oxford, though, as I understand it, and as indicated in the earlier post.
Last edited by NameUnknown; 8 months ago
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by NameUnknown)
I graduated from Cambridge last year (first class, Law) and did not sit the LNAT before my application or at all. Nor did I get 8 or 9 As in my GCSEs. It is a prerequisite to have done the LNAT for Law at Oxford, though, as I understand it, and as indicated in the earlier post.
Ah I see, that's interesting. And also as I said before, Cambridge is more lenient for GCSEs. But often their offers are higher, e.g. Law at Oxford is AAA, and at Cambridge it's A*AA.
Tommy77
Rep:
?
(Original post by Oxford Mum)
Thanks for the reply, I got 2 9’s 3’8’s and the rest 7’s for GCSE’s, now that you mention it i should just apply and see what happens!
Tommy77
Rep:
?
(Original post by NameUnknown)
I graduated from Cambridge last year (first class, Law) and did not sit the LNAT before my application or at all. Nor did I get 8 or 9 As in my GCSEs. It is a prerequisite to have done the LNAT for Law at Oxford, though, as I understand it, and as indicated in the earlier post.
Hi, thats pretty comforting to hear, do you mind me asking your predicted grades & how your interview went?

Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (640)
33.51%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (806)
42.2%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.79%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.5%

Watched Threads