The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

The Official University College London Applicants' Thread 2020

This is a place to meet other applicants and chat during the application process.

What course are you applying for:
What other universities are you thinking of:
A level / IB / Higher predicted grades:
AS / GCSE grades:
Extra curriculars:
(Share as much detail as you're comfortable with.)

You can check out a list of other applicants threads here.

Scroll to see replies

Hey, thanks for this, this thread is cool!

What course are you applying for: History

What other universities are you thinking of: Cambridge, Birmingham, Lancaster and Royal Holloway

A level / IB / Higher predicted grades: AAA

AS / GCSE grades: 3 A*s, 4 As, 1 B and 2 Cs at GCSE

Extra curriculars: loool its like 11:40pm its way too long to list here soz x
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Good luck everyone! UCL was my first choice and if you asked me a year ago I’d never have thought I would make it.
Reply 3
What course are you applying for: Economics!

What other universities are you thinking of: Cambridge, Warwick, Manchester and Bristol

A Level predicted grades: A*A*A*A*

AS Grades: AAAAA (maths, fm, biology, english lit, physics - dropped physics after AS)

GCSE Grades: 10A* and 1A

Extra Curriculars: Debating, maths challenges, loads of wider reading and research, academic prizes etc etc
What course are you applying for: Law LLB!

What other universities are you thinking of: West London, York, Derby

A level / IB / Higher predicted grades: Currently doing an Access Course, predicted at all Distinctions

AS / GCSE grades: 1A, 6B, 1C

Extra curriculars: worked for 5 years as a Barrister's Clerk in Birmingham!
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by 学生の父
This is a place to meet other applicants and chat during the application process.

AS / GCSE grades:
Extra curriculars:

course : history
other unis: Oxford, KCL, Exeter, Birmingham
A level predicted : A*A*A* (maths, history and psychology)
Hi all!

What course are you applying for: Law LLB
What other universities are you thinking of: Durham, Nottingham, Warwick and KCL
A level / IB / Higher predicted grades: A*AAA, but I got an A* for my economics mock so I’m trying to get him to move my predicted up to an A* (a bit frustrating that he won’t budge considering that I literally got 90%)
AS / GCSE grades: 98887777765
Extra curriculars: leader of my local youth board, organiser of our social action day project, volunteering at a homework club for underprivileged kids in the community, I’m a corporal in CCF, secretary of Interact (charity fundraising organisation), I did the ration challenge to help Syrian refugees in Jordan and raised £300, part time job at a restaurant, and I did an EPQ dk if that counts
Original post by gay*
What course are you applying for: Economics!

What other universities are you thinking of: Cambridge, Warwick, Manchester and Bristol

A Level predicted grades: A*A*A*A*

AS Grades: AAAAA (maths, fm, biology, english lit, physics - dropped physics after AS)

GCSE Grades: 10A* and 1A

Extra Curriculars: Debating, maths challenges, loads of wider reading and research, academic prizes etc etc

Wow economics without doing an economics A-level ... that's quite rare but not impossible! Good luck!
Reply 8
Course: Geography BA
Other unis: Oxford, Birmingham, LSE and Nottingham
Predicted grades: Geography (A*), Economics (A*) and Maths (A*)
Extra curriculars: public speaking competitions, black belt in karate and I volunteer at a primary school as a teaching assistant amongst others
Original post by FlawlessChicken
Wow economics without doing an economics A-level ... that's quite rare but not impossible! Good luck!

@gay* Applying for Economics at uni is fine without the subject at A-level. You've got mathematics to a high level and have an essay subject (Eng Lit) and a bright interest in current affairs. Go for it!
I might as well do mine too!

What course are you applying for: Medicine/ NatSci (as a back-up for my 5th non-med option)

What other universities are you thinking of: Cambridge (Sidney Sussex), Imperial, Queen Mary's
A level / IB / Higher predicted grades: 4A*s (Bio, Chem, Maths and FM)
AS / GCSE grades: 14A*s equivalents/ 1A (Business and Econ was a joke)
Extra curriculars: Just the standard medicine stuff + mentoring + gold DofE
Original post by resach
Course: Geography BA
Other unis: Oxford, Birmingham, LSE and Nottingham
Predicted grades: Geography (A*), Economics (A*) and Maths (A*)
Extra curriculars: public speaking competitions, black belt in karate and I volunteer at a primary school as a teaching assistant amongst others

Do you ever feel you need that black belt as a TA in primary school?
Original post by gbemicherish
Hi all!

What course are you applying for: Law LLB
What other universities are you thinking of: Durham, Nottingham, Warwick and KCL
A level / IB / Higher predicted grades: A*AAA, but I got an A* for my economics mock so I’m trying to get him to move my predicted up to an A* (a bit frustrating that he won’t budge considering that I literally got 90%)
AS / GCSE grades: 98887777765
Extra curriculars: leader of my local youth board, organiser of our social action day project, volunteering at a homework club for underprivileged kids in the community, I’m a corporal in CCF, secretary of Interact (charity fundraising organisation), I did the ration challenge to help Syrian refugees in Jordan and raised £300, part time job at a restaurant, and I did an EPQ dk if that counts

Yes the EPQ could come in handy. Put in the the qualifications section on the UCAS form, and talk about it in your PS if it's all relevant to the LLB application.
Reply 13
Original post by 学生の父
Do you ever feel you need that black belt as a TA in primary school?

Hahaha some of the time! I forgot how annoying some kids are
What course are you applying for: Psychology or Neuroscience
What other universities are you thinking of: KCL, St. Andrews, University of Edinburgh
A level / IB / Higher predicted grades: don’t have my IB predicted grades yet lol, still need to ask my teachers for it
AS / GCSE grades:I’m an international applicant so I didn’t do it
Extra curriculars: exec of two clubs, participated in neuroscience competitions, volunteering at a Mental Healthcare Centre, used to be an air cadet, organized fundraisers
Reply 15
Original post by 学生の父
@gay* Applying for Economics at uni is fine without the subject at A-level. You've got mathematics to a high level and have an essay subject (Eng Lit) and a bright interest in current affairs. Go for it!

yeah economics isn’t a common a level in NI the nearest school that does it is like an hour from where i live unfortunately lol
Reply 16
Original post by 学生の父

AS / GCSE grades:
Extra curriculars:

Course: Economics
Universities: Cambridge, LSE, King's
A Levels (achieved): A* Maths, A* Econ, A* Latin, A Further Maths
GSCEs: 7 A* 2 A

Has anyone received acknowledgement of their application yet?
Hey, just changed my UCAS in track from Economics and Finance in Edinburgh to History, Politics and Economics in UCL. I’ve already applied for PPE in Edin, and wasn’t too interested in Econ and Finance, only had it down as a 5th option. I thought my maths grade would be too low for UCL, but this course only requires me to do history for a year and then I can do Pol and Econ without a 90%+ grade in maths.

So anyway, I’m applying for Edinburgh, LSE, UCL, KCL, Oxford

My predicted grades are 3xH1 3xH2 1xH3

I got 6xA and 4xB in junior cert (we don’t have A* grades)

I sing in 3 Anglican choirs and have done a diploma in criminology and criminal psychology, as well as being a member of the centre for talented youth
Original post by MichellexJordan
My predicted grades are 3xH1 3xH2 1xH3

I got 6xA and 4xB in junior cert (we don’t have A* grades)

Which education system is this, please? What do the Hs mean?
Original post by 学生の父
Which education system is this, please? What do the Hs mean?

Hi, this is the Irish leaving cert system. The Hs mean that the subjects I take are at higher level, not ordinary level (far easier). h1 is 90-100% h2 is 80-89% and so on