How much rent to pay parents? Watch

That'sGreat
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
How much rent would you expect, for example, an 18 year old to pay their parents? For arguments sake, lets put their salary at 21,000 a year (roughly 17,500 after tax) and say the child is trying to save to buy a house
username1562597
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
1/2 of the going price for a 1 bedroom house share (in your area) would be reasonable.

make that 1/3 if London or south east
C.Goodyear
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I wouldn't expect an 18 year old to pay any rent to their parents
olivia.francesca
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
£0 because they chose to have a child so it’s their responsibility to provide their every need
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yeah we've already had this conversation recently, we discovered most TSR kiddies are really entitled remember? 'I shouldn't have to pay my way like everyone else because i'm saving for a house' ...fks sake :rolleyes:
MWills99
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I wouldn't expect an 18 year old to pay rent, but they can buy their own food etc.
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by That'sGreat)
How much rent would you expect, for example, an 18 year old to pay their parents? For arguments sake, lets put their salary at 21,000 a year (roughly 17,500 after tax) and say the child is trying to save to buy a house
I don't charge my son anything but I do expect him to share in the chores, cut the grass, etc. Mind you my mortgage is paid off and money is not tight.
kkboyk
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by That'sGreat)
Rather than paying rent it'd be better to just make contributions at home. I'm currently saving up and I don't pay rent to my parents, instead I tend to cook, pay some bills and do other things they don't have time for.
alees1991
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Going to be unpopular here but if you're working then you should pay housekeeping to your parents. I pay £200 a month whilst saving for a house. I earn £21,000 and it's only fair. They pay the electric, gas and water and I use that so I should contribute to it. Some of that money goes towards food but I tend to buy my own because I'm the only one eating it and they don't always know what I want.

We were brought up with when you start earning you start contributing which I think is fair as my parents don't earn a lot of money but I choose to live there whilst I save.
Last edited by alees1991; 3 weeks ago
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I don't agree with parents charging their children to rent a bedroom or treating them like a cashpoint.
But if there are financial problems and children with stable employment want to help out with expenses- they can start paying for food shopping.
Having the bills for services that they alone use put into their names is also an option.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (131)
17.99%
It's just nice to be back! (197)
27.06%
Not great so far... (263)
36.13%
I want to drop out! (137)
18.82%

Watched Threads