The Student Room Group
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website

PGCE Secondary + QTS Teacher Trainee rights?

Hi,

I was told in a lecture that a pgce uni student are allowed 3 days off from university campus throughout the academic year. Ok that is understood.

Ok moving onto the separate part that is 120 Days QTS. What are the rights of the teacher trainee at placements in compared to workers rights below?:

https://www.gov.uk/employment-status/worker

Is there a set policy on how many days, for example how many days off allowed for sick days at placements? I understand teachers get good holidays already like terms off and 6 weeks summer holidays too like students however for unforeseen circumstances like sickness, generally speaking how many days off is allowed for this throughout the academic year and does this affect the bursary in anyway? Statutory sick pay?

Also what is the statutory minimum lunch break and are teachers allowed to work more than 48 hours per week?

Is the above mentioned usually contracted with the uni or with each school placement having their own contract with the teacher trainee?

I understand to get QTS a minimum of 120 days needs to be worked however for example if there's a few days missing due to sickness then is there a chance to make up the few missing days later on within the academic year?

Finally if rights are not given or violated then who to complain to? Uni or School?

Thanks,
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest