Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hiya

I'm a mature student and I've taken up a home learning A Level Maths course to help me get into uni..

I have two probs..

1. I haven't studied maths since I was 16 (8 years ago!)

2. I am sitting the exams in June and have only just started!

I know I'm probably taking alot on and I'm doing a few hours study a day (getting to grips with Core Maths 1) But I wondered if anyone had any advice eg best ways to study etc to try and get me back into the swing of things.

I'm doing it because I want to get into computers and apparently Maths is the best way to go when it comes to A level..

Any advice would be most appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    1. It might be an idea to revise (or learn!) some stuff from GCSE Maths to refresh your memory. This might mean more learning, but you'll find the A-level pretty hard if you're not totally happy with GCSE work.

2. Little and often is probably the best way to get started, then build it up slowly. I'm doing C1 and C2 at the minute (and S1 and D1), so if you have any problems with anything, give me a shout.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amnesiaiom)
    Hiya

I'm a mature student and I've taken up a home learning A Level Maths course to help me get into uni..

I have two probs..

1. I haven't studied maths since I was 16 (8 years ago!)

2. I am sitting the exams in June and have only just started!

I know I'm probably taking alot on and I'm doing a few hours study a day (getting to grips with Core Maths 1) But I wondered if anyone had any advice eg best ways to study etc to try and get me back into the swing of things.

I'm doing it because I want to get into computers and apparently Maths is the best way to go when it comes to A level..

Any advice would be most appreciated!
    Get the heinemann books and teach yourself, easiest way, are you doing the full A level or just AS?

ReputationRep:
    I prefer 'Collins Advanced Modular Mathematics' books for pure maths.
    They have the same content as heinemann, but give you more clear examples, and lots of good practice questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by distortedgav)
    1. It might be an idea to revise (or learn!) some stuff from GCSE Maths to refresh your memory. This might mean more learning, but you'll find the A-level pretty hard if you're not totally happy with GCSE work.

Good luck
    Yeah that is what I started on, I got the CGP revise Higher GCSE Maths and have triggers the old brain cells and now I'm onto the AS stuff..

I'm doing the whole A level C1, C2, C3, C4, M1 and M2

The advice is kinda what I'm doing anyway so I think I'm going in the right direction! It's just difficult if I'm have trouble with something and I haven't got anyone to ask.. everyone I know is scared of Maths so are no help!

Think I'll just ask you guys on the forum if I get stuck and then at least I'll get some good answers!

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Im currently learning As and A2 maths at the same time so it will be all fresh in my memory (once taught). I will definitely try and help. Im doing P1 (c1 to you) and P4 right now. plus s1 and s4 if u need anything on that. I would suggest reading the book and making notes as u go along. Then look at the examples given and then try and do sum questions. Then it is always a good idea to come back to a topic a day or so later and that really helps to lodge that maths into your brain. If you get stuck on any questions ask on here - theres always loadsa people to help. I would suggest do as much work now as possible. Whenever u feel that u have nothing to do just get ur books out and read. U dont even have to have a pen in ur hand when u do it - just read the examples (this is what i call relaxed revision). Read the text book before u go to bed - this will send u str8 to sleep. Just keep ur eye on the ball always - u must always remember that this is what u want and the more u do the better u will be. good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryan750)
    Im currently learning As and A2 maths at the same time so it will be all fresh in my memory (once taught). I will definitely try and help. Im doing P1 (c1 to you) and P4 right now. plus s1 and s4 if u need anything on that. I would suggest reading the book and making notes as u go along. Then look at the examples given and then try and do sum questions. Then it is always a good idea to come back to a topic a day or so later and that really helps to lodge that maths into your brain. If you get stuck on any questions ask on here - theres always loadsa people to help. I would suggest do as much work now as possible. Whenever u feel that u have nothing to do just get ur books out and read. U dont even have to have a pen in ur hand when u do it - just read the examples (this is what i call relaxed revision). Read the text book before u go to bed - this will send u str8 to sleep. Just keep ur eye on the ball always - u must always remember that this is what u want and the more u do the better u will be. good luck.
    Thanks hun..

feel totally motivated now.. spent my fri night with maths.. (aah sad but true!) think I'm gonna go and do some more..

Cheers for the support, I think the idea is just live and breath maths for the next 8 months!

ReputationRep:
    hmm not necessarily.....just try and do about 15 hours a week (we had (when I was at college -gone back 6th form) 9 hours a week of lessons, then we should have done about 6 hours in our own time). I'm doing further maths though, so I do the full A-level in a year. Try and do about 2 hours a day monday to friday, then 2.5 hrs saturday and sunday....or however you work best. Looks like you've got it all under control though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by distortedgav)
    hmm not necessarily.....just try and do about 15 hours a week (we had (when I was at college -gone back 6th form) 9 hours a week of lessons, then we should have done about 6 hours in our own time). I'm doing further maths though, so I do the full A-level in a year. Try and do about 2 hours a day monday to friday, then 2.5 hrs saturday and sunday....or however you work best. Looks like you've got it all under control though
    Woo Hoo! Feel more confident now, cos I'm surrounded by people saying how hard it will be (family and friends) I kinda thought I was probably just kidding myself but I reckon I'll do it.

I'll def be on here with my questions when I need a hand!

ReputationRep:
    Revise the GCSE maths and do the essential skills chapter in the back of the P1 book. The heinemann books in addition to past papers are the best way to teach yourself imo.
    You can do it! You might end up liking maths so much at the end of it that you'll go on to do maths at university;P. Don't listen to people who say you can't.
    Feel free to message me with any questions etc.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, you are very brave. I am wondering whether S1 and S2 might be a far lighter load than M1 and M2 though, unless you are a Physicist... That's just my advice if you get a choice...

ReputationRep:
    So your just doing As lvel maths or are you doing any other subjects i.e physics, chem?

ReputationRep:
    how do u find it? It's difficult or not? If it's, let revise from GCSE. But I don't think it's hard. If u have any ques, go here and ask

ReputationRep:
    I'm just doing Maths, as I work full time and I'm also doing city and guilds web design and city and guilds management course.. so I think that's enough all in one go!

I'm doing all this to get into uni, and as I want to do internet computing, the uni's said the best thing I could do was Maths A Level... so that's what I'm doing..

I don't get a choice with M1 and M2 as I'm doing it through ICS Learn so they provide the course work and text books.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 13, 2004

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.