The Student Room Group

Studying maths at degree level without A level further maths

Hi, I may apply to do maths at university however I don’t take further maths. I was wondering if any one who does maths at uni who didn’t do further maths for a level would be able to give me some advice on how they initially found the course and whether they felt behind to start with? Thanks
Original post by chemmathsbio
Hi, I may apply to do maths at university however I don’t take further maths. I was wondering if any one who does maths at uni who didn’t do further maths for a level would be able to give me some advice on how they initially found the course and whether they felt behind to start with? Thanks

Unless you have a good reason (I.e your school didn't offer further maths) you probably won't get into any top unis. The jump differs from university to university. In some universities, they spend the majority of first year going through further maths stuff. In others (like cambridge) you'll be quite behind without further maths or an olympiad/competition maths background. Like I said, maths courses differ a lot from university to university, hence the best thing to do is look at the universities you are interested in and look at their policies on further maths.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending