Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi,
I'm entering my second year next week but I'm really dreading it. I've somehow managed to make no friends at uni...

Freshers was great, thought I'd made a friendship group but that turned out not to be the case. I'd message them a few months later, and they made lame excuses like 'we're not going out tonight' only to see on social media later that day, they were at the club.

I just don't know what I am doing wrong. I'm not unlikeable, I have lots of friends back home and it sucks seeing everyone around me enjoying life. It makes me so depressed and anxious and sometimes I even think whether uni is worth it.

What can I do entering second year? I can't bear the thought of another lonely year but how can I make friends now everyone is settled into their own friendship groups? I was considering joining societies but they seem so cliquey and I feel so awkward going to a social on my own. People usually attend with a friend, so I'd look so weird.

Why has this happened to me? Any stories of anyone who had an awful first year experience but it got better in the second year?
nathan_nacu
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi,

I had a similar issue in college. Try strike up convos with random ppl when ur just sitting with them you’d be surprised, one nice conversation I had with someone led to her introducing me to her entire friendship group and a few months later u wouldn’t know we all met recently. Little things make a difference so just keep moving, and also it is annoying going for socials alone but believe me you won’t regret it.

Hope this helps
cheesecakelove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi,
I'm entering my second year next week but I'm really dreading it. I've somehow managed to make no friends at uni...

Freshers was great, thought I'd made a friendship group but that turned out not to be the case. I'd message them a few months later, and they made lame excuses like 'we're not going out tonight' only to see on social media later that day, they were at the club.

I just don't know what I am doing wrong. I'm not unlikeable, I have lots of friends back home and it sucks seeing everyone around me enjoying life. It makes me so depressed and anxious and sometimes I even think whether uni is worth it.

What can I do entering second year? I can't bear the thought of another lonely year but how can I make friends now everyone is settled into their own friendship groups? I was considering joining societies but they seem so cliquey and I feel so awkward going to a social on my own. People usually attend with a friend, so I'd look so weird.

Why has this happened to me? Any stories of anyone who had an awful first year experience but it got better in the second year?
Try to meet different people by trying new things like joining new societies or volunteering at university. University is a large place - you won't have met everyone in your year and there will be people who suit you character more out there - you just need to find them! You may find if your course is a large class that your group will be split up into smaller classes based on module choices and various seminar classes - this will give you an opportunity to talk to and work with different course mates you wouldn't have in first year. Also, don't be afraid to talk to new first year students - you can make friends in other years too. Go into things with an open mind and don't let preconceived thoughts affect your actions - a lot of people attend socials alone for the first time and friendship groups can change over time during university. There is no reason to say that they will not accept you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (46)
67.65%
No I haven't decided yet (15)
22.06%
Yes but I might change my mind (7)
10.29%

Watched Threads