Lucas__
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I'm applying to Cambridge natsci , but unfortunately my AS forecast was bad (A*A*A*C , C in further maths). Does the 4th subject really affect much ?
simonhall
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Are you predicted a C for As, or have you already done the As and achieved a C?
Lucas__
Rep:
?
(Original post by simonhall)
Are you predicted a C for As, or have you already done the As and achieved a C?
I'm predicted a C for AS , going to take the actual exam soon. That day I wasn't feeling well so I can't focus on the paper completely, but in the previous exam I got an A in further maths, so I'm quite sure that I will be getting an A/A* in the actual exam.
Last edited by Lucas__; 3 weeks ago
stcamb
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Lucas__)
I'm predicted a C for AS , going to take the actual exam soon. That day I wasn't feeling well so I can't focus on the paper completely, but in the previous exam I got an A in further maths, so I'm quite sure that I will be getting an A/A* in the actual exam.
Can you talk to your teachers about the predicted grade? If you've been doing well and working at "A" standard in everything but a mock exam, and if you're predicted an A* in maths, it seems unfair that they would base your predicted grade entirely off of one exam on a day you were feeling unwell.

Try not to be too pushy or demand anything, but explain that you were feeling really unwell on the day of the exam and that you're worried about the effect of your predicted grade on university admissions given that you know you can do a lot better. Hopefully they will understand.
MagnumKoishi
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
If you haven't yet done your AS levels then are you even in the right year for applying to unis? If you're doing AS levels then you should be applying after you get the results, so your prediction for those doesn't matter.
Lucas__
Rep:
?
(Original post by stcamb)
Can you talk to your teachers about the predicted grade? If you've been doing well and working at "A" standard in everything but a mock exam, and if you're predicted an A* in maths, it seems unfair that they would base your predicted grade entirely off of one exam on a day you were feeling unwell.

Try not to be too pushy or demand anything, but explain that you were feeling really unwell on the day of the exam and that you're worried about the effect of your predicted grade on university admissions given that you know you can do a lot better. Hopefully they will understand.
I explained my situation, but they said they can't do anything regarding my situation, so I guess this is not an option anymore.
Lucas__
Rep:
?
(Original post by MagnumKoishi)
If you haven't yet done your AS levels then are you even in the right year for applying to unis? If you're doing AS levels then you should be applying after you get the results, so your prediction for those doesn't matter.
In my country most of us start A-levels in January and end in next year June (yes it's accelerated, but it's very common here, less people opt for 2 year programme) , so in my case I apply to universities before even taking AS , so my teachers basically predict my A-level grades based on AS mock, but it is still doable to catch up with the syllabus.
stcamb
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I explained my situation, but they said they can't do anything regarding my situation, so I guess this is not an option anymore.
Well that's irritating. Can you see if your referee is willing to mention it in your reference? Cambridge should know that schools often do odd things with predicted grades, so hopefully it won't be a problem. I would still apply and hope that the rest of your application shows what you are actually capable of.
Lucas__
Rep:
?
(Original post by stcamb)
Well that's irritating. Can you see if your referee is willing to mention it in your reference? Cambridge should know that schools often do odd things with predicted grades, so hopefully it won't be a problem. I would still apply and hope that the rest of your application shows what you are actually capable of.
Hmm if I can't change my teacher's mind , I think it's harder to deal with my referee. I mean , she's also a teacher , and surely she will refer to my subject teacher
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'm applying to Cambridge natsci , but unfortunately my AS forecast was bad (A*A*A*C , C in further maths). Does the 4th subject really affect much ?
A low grade in a 4th subject isn't normally a negative. The key in your situation is whether further maths is important to the course. If it is, then inference will be drawn about your maths ability. Ask an admissions tutor in one of their threads.
Lucas__
Rep:
?
(Original post by threeportdrift)
A low grade in a 4th subject isn't normally a negative. The key in your situation is whether further maths is important to the course. If it is, then inference will be drawn about your maths ability. Ask an admissions tutor in one of their threads.
I'm applying for phys natsci , so further maths is essential for this course, but not compulsory. My concern is , since my other 3 grades have met the entry requirements , will my further maths affect my chances ?
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by lucas__)
i'm applying for phys natsci , so further maths is essential for this course, but not compulsory. My concern is , since my other 3 grades have met the entry requirements , will my further maths affect my chances ?
ask an admissions tutor in one of their threads!
Lucas__
Rep:
?
ask an admissions tutor in one of their threads!
Do you mind to drop a link ? I'm new here and I can't find an official thread. Thanks
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Do you mind to drop a link ? I'm new here and I can't find an official thread. Thanks
Click the link at the top that says > University of Cambridge
Look down the list of threads, it's about the second thread under yours Ask an Admissions tutor ... Though read the whole thread first, because your question has, in large part, been answered already.
Lucas__
Rep:
?
Click the link at the top that says > University of Cambridge
Look down the list of threads, it's about the second thread under yours Ask an Admissions tutor ... Though read the whole thread first, because your question has, in large part, been answered already.
Alright thanks !! Really appreciate that
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 3 Jul '20

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (131)
17.99%
It's just nice to be back! (197)
27.06%
Not great so far... (263)
36.13%
I want to drop out! (137)
18.82%

Watched Threads