The Student Room Group

Year Abroad Struggling with Friends

I've been doing a study abroad in America, coming up to 1 month now and I feel like I’ve made no friends. Initially I met a few Brits and started hanging with them. One has gone off to join a frat. We met a couple American girls as well but now it just seems I’m becoming the outcast of the group. We had a group chat going for the first week but now it seems I’m being excluded from their activities I feel there’s reasonable suspicion that they’re just communicating among themselves and excluding me too.

In all honesty it’s making me feel like ****. I just want to ditch them but they seem to be my only lifeline right now until I can manage to find a better group. I miss my UK friends. I got talking to someone the other day and he invited me for drinks round his house very friendly thing to do. I extended the people I’ve met in the US who initially said they were coming, but then 2 of them bailed. When I hit the bars and the other 2 went home, they linked back up together showing really being ‘exhausted’ is a piss poor excuse. I’m going to ask this guy who I recently met and his friends if they fancy going out this week and want to exclude the group I’m with because I fear if they integrate with the dudes I might be able to get along with then I just get outcasted from that group too. They've asked me to ask him if they could come back to his house, because it was fun, but I feel like there asking not because they want to go with me.
Any advice? Would really want to meet wholesome and meaningful individuals like I have done back home. Wish they came out with me tbh.
Reply 1
No offense or anything but IMHO I don't think you're looking for wholesome and meaningful people in the right place. Facebook and so on and bars especially are where you often find fly-by-night types. Can't you join some societies at your uni and take it slow, getting to know people who are nice?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending